My YA Summer Reads


 I thought I would do a follow-up to My Middle Grade Summer Reads post almost a fortnight ago, sharing some of the YA books that I've been reading/want to read this summer.

Now, I'm very aware that the summer is coming to an end as we approach September, but 10 middle-grade books and 10 YA books over one summer was always a bit of a stretch for me. In the past, that would have been easier for me but with other responsibilities and events, I was never going to read them all in my six-week summer.

Either way, here are the ten books I have started reading or will be reading soon...

Taylor Blake is a Legend by Laura Jane Williams
This sounds like such a fun, enjoyable read for slightly older readers (11+) and seems like the kind of book I'd have loved at this age. Taylor writes fan fiction and writes for the school newspaper: two things I did when I was her age. I'm wondering if I'll read this and see similarities between myself and Taylor.


Better than the Movies by Lynn Painter
This book has been on my radar since it was first released back in March of this year. This is one I want to read ASAP because the sequel is coming in October 2024 and I want to be ready for that! It feels like it might have that 'enemies-to-lovers' vibe - which I love - when it comes to Liz and Wes.



The Mercury in Me by Rachael Fernandes
I love a bit of musical theatre, so the fact that one of the characters (Harry Wu) is the "musical theatre heartthrob" of the story had me hooked immediately. It's got music, a female main character and college (Sixth Form) drama. This has had great reviews from people I know who have already read it, so it's definitely one to read in the next month or so.


Lover Birds by Leanne Egan
Now this book definitely has an enemies-to-lovers plotline, so I already know I'll love it. I'm a sucker for this trope! It's also described as 'perfect for fans of Alice Oseman and Becky Albertalli', so this makes me more excited to read this neurodivergent, queer debut from Leanne Egan. I've also heard that it does a great job of including real landmarks in Liverpool, where this book is set.

The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross
As a big fan of the Divine Rivals duology, I was always going to read more from Rebecca Ross. This sounds like yet another duo of fantastical, historical books with elements of magic, mystery and love. I know this isn't necessarily a new release, like the other books, but the paperback was released a couple of months ago and it was thrown back into the spotlight.


Girl, Goddess, Queen by Bea Fitzgerald
This is one of the books I have already started reading and I am loving it so far. This book is a fantasy romance re-imagining of the ruler of the Underworld, Hades, and Persephone. This book has a strong, independent Persephone, who has a plan for her own life... even if it means making a deal with Hades to avoid marrying someone she doesn't want to be with.

The Virtue Season by L.M. Nathan
I have heard a few mixed reviews about this one but I was immediately intrigued by this book. I've heard it described as "Bridgerton meets The Hunger Games" - what a combo! The idea of this season where you will be matched with a suitable genetic mate sounds really interesting to me and I can't wait to pick this book up soon.


The Reappearance of Rachel Price by Holly Jackson
As a huge fan of the series A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, I knew I had to add this book to my TBR list. There's something about a murder, mystery and crime that I'm starting to enjoy reading about more and more. This book became a Sunday Times bestseller earlier this year and all the reviews I've read have been so positive. I might save this one for an autumn/Halloween read.

Of Jade and Dragons by Amber Chen
I will admit that the main thing that pulled me towards this book was the stunning artwork on the cover. However, I read the synopsis and it sounds so interesting: an immersive YA fantasy inspired by a Chinese legend, recommended for fans of Leigh Bardugo and a strong female main character. I think my boyfriend might enjoy this one too.


The Thread that Connects Us by Ayaan Mohamud
The final book on my list is one I have heard a lot about recently. Filled with secrets and connections, this book tells the story of two girls - two families -  being thrown together and trying to navigate this new life. The girls, Safiya and Halima, have to work together and try to get on to make their lives easier and uncover hidden truths. It sounds amazing!

There you go: ten YA reads that I have added to my TBR this summer. I may not have read them all but they will be read very soon. I've even downloaded a couple of them as audiobooks so I can listen to them on the way to/from work when I go back in September.

What is the best book you've read this summer?

No comments