Recipe Box: Tanya Burr's Rocky Road


I was so excited when Tanya Burr's baking book, Tanya Bakes, was finally released as I've been waiting for it for so long. I was even happier when I received my signed copy!



I've made rocky road before with my mum's recipe, which has always been one of my favourite treats. But when I saw this recipe in Tanya's book, I knew straight away that I had to try it.

It's not too different at all when looking at the ingredients. It's butter, chocolate, syrup, biscuits and marshmallows. But there is one main difference when it comes to the biscuits - this uses cookies!

I've always used digestives before, just like my mum, and while I absolutely love that rocky road, I'm not a huge fan of digestive biscuits. I find them dry and bland, plus I associate them with being ill when my mum used to give them to me when I'd been sick and wanted to try eating again as they were plain.

But back to the cookies. What a great idea! So this was the first recipe that I tried out from Tanya's new baking book and here's how to make it:


Tanya Burr's Rocky Road (makes approx. 16 squares)

  • 150g butter
  • 350g dark chocolate
  • 4 tbsp golden syrup
  • 250g cookies
  • 150g mini marshmallows
  • icing sugar, to dust (I didn't do this part)


1. Line a square baking tin (20cm) with greaseproof paper.

2. In a saucepan, melt the butter, dark chocolate and golden syrup together on a low heat.



3. Put the cookies in a ziplock bag and smash the cookies up using a rolling pin, until you have a mixture of bigger chunks, smaller pieces and crumbs.



4. Pour the crushed cookies into the chocolate mixture and stir in the marshmallows.


5. Stir in the marshmallows, completely coating them all.




6. Pour the mixture into the lined tin, cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge to set for a minimum of two hours. I left it three hours just to be sure.



7. Remove from the fridge and turn it out, upside down onto a plate. Peel off the greaseproof paper and cut into squares. I found it easiest to cut it into four strips and then cut each strip into four, making them as equal as possible.

You can buy Tanya Burr's book Tanya Bakes here. I can't wait to try out more of her amazing recipes.

I'll be posting another recipe very soon for my white chocolate chunk cookies, which are extremely popular with my work colleagues, so keep an eye out for that one if you're interested.

No comments