New Releases: Scholastic Picture Books


There have been some amazing picture book releases over the last few months and I have noticed that Scholastic are behind a lot of them. Today, I thought I would share some of my favourite Scholastic releases from May to August. I was originally going to do a "top five" but I couldn't narrow it down past eight! So, here they are...


Animal Explorers: Ivy the Bug Hunter by Sharon Rentta
Let's start with an animal book! This book is part of a series and I'd like to get my hands on the other books soon, as this is the first one I've read. Ivy the Bug Hunter is a great book for young children and would be great in an Early Years or Key Stage 1 school setting, especially for those children interested in science or for the topic of minibeasts. I've already imagined it being used to hook children into doing a bug safari! Sharon Rentta's illustrations are beautiful and detailed too. I also love the non-fiction element at the end of the book that talks about real scientists.




Bears Don't Share! by Lorna Scobie
With this book, I was immediately drawn in my the incredible artwork by author-illustrator Lorna Scobie. The cover is just utterly beautiful, as are the images inside! Bears Don't Share is a great book for young children about sharing and thinking of others. Again, I imagine this will be a great one for schools with the PSHE link of kindness and building relationships, along with science for hibernation. It's a book with a great message as well as being a great story. This book gives me cosy autumn vibes too.




The Frog's Kiss by James Mayhew and Toto
This book immediately gave me Julian is a Mermaid vibes, so if you liked that then I think you'll love this. The Frog's Kiss is an LGBTQ+ retelling of the story of The Frog Prince. In this version, the frog goes in search of a kiss from a prince rather than a princess. This is another beautiful book with an important, inclusive message. It would be a great picture book to share with children of any age. This book was made even better when I realised it was written and illustrated by a husband duo. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do next!




Going to Big School by Laura Sieveking and Danielle McDonald
What a perfect book for children who are about to start primary school! Going to Big School is great when it comes to considering different emotions children may be feeling when starting school for the first time. We meet Ava, who is very excited, and Jack, who is a little scared, and with kindness and respect Ava helps Jack enjoy school. Laura Sieveking does a great job of conveying these emotions through her writing and Danielle McDonald's illustrations are bright and colourful. I'd definitely recommend this book to new school starters for September.




My Tree by Amy Sparkes and Fiona Lumbers
This is one of the most visually stunning and heart-warming books I have ever come across. It tells a beautiful tale of a little girl's connection with a tree that has always been there for her... but then it's gone. Recounting this child's relationship with nature and how she came to rely on this tree for comfort and adventure is just so pure. Amy Sparkes' writing captures the girl's emotions perfectly and the illustrations from Fiona Lumbers are some of the prettiest I've ever seen. I would honestly put this up there with one of my favourite picture books of all time.




Rita & Ralph's Rotten Day by Carmen Agra Deedy and Pete Oswald
This is a fantastic book for teaching children about conflict and resolution, which is something I still cover with eleven-year-olds so it would be a great read for children of any age. Our characters, Rita and Ralph, are good friends and love playing together but when a game goes wrong, it causes an argument. Carmen Agra Deedy talks through the conflict-resolution procedure in an understandable, relatable way. The stunning illustrations are courtesy of the incredible, bestselling illustrator Pete Oswald too.




Shine by Sarah Asuquo and Nadia Fisher
Here is yet another book that caught my eye due to the insanely beautiful cover. Shine promotes the tagline "Everyone is different, everyone is special" and this book definitely captures that message within its pages. The main character, Kai, experiences bullying and low self-esteem due to being different, which leads him to wishing he was the same as everyone else. Author Sarah Asuquo shows differences in a positive light and this is further illustrated through Nadia Fisher's stunning images. It's a fantastic book; it's inspiring and reflects diversity.




When Cookie Crumbled by Michelle Robinson and Tom Knight
I've saved another favourite until last! I have read all of the books in this duo's collection - When Cucumber Lost His Cool was a particular favourite with my Year 3 class last year. Michelle Robinson writes fantastically funny stories that explore various emotions, making them perfect for children of any age, and Tom Knight's illustrations are the perfect pairing to this. This book covers the feelings of loneliness, self-worth and acceptance as Michael the cookie feels like he can't be himself when he just wants to stand out. A truly brilliant book!



So, there we have it: Some amazing picture books from Scholastic over the past few months. I cannot wait to see what comes out next!

Have you read any of these books? Do you know any other new picture books that you'd recommend?


No comments