Book Wars: Dragons vs Unicorns


I'm trying to think of new blog ideas, especially when it comes to books. I have always wanted to do something where I recommend books that have a certain theme or characteristic, but wanted a more interesting way to do this rather than just saying, "Here are some books that all have [insert feature here]." There's nothing wrong with posts like that at all (plus, I'm sure I'll do some like that in the future) but I saw this idea in a book magazine, that came in my Reading Rocks subscription box last month, and knew I wanted to do something similar.

The spring 2024 issue of the magazine, WRD, had a feature inside called "Dragons vs Unicorns". It then had over 20 suggestions for books that include dragons or unicorns, with a brief synopsis of each book. You can see a sneak peek of the article in the photo below, under the "in this issue" heading (taken from the WRD website):


There were some fantastic suggestions in this article. Some I had read and loved, some I hadn't heard of but immediately added to my TBR list. However, it then got me thinking about my favourite books with dragons and unicorns. WRD is a magazine for 8-14 year olds (they also have WRD Xtra for readers 13+) so I thought about my favourite books that fit into that age range. 

There are a few other books that would be classed as YA/new adult or even adult that I could also add to the lists, but I decided to stay with the same age range as WRD in order to make things easier and narrow down my options.

So, here are my top 5 recommended dragon books and my top 5 recommended unicorn books:


Have you read any of these books? What dragon or unicorn books would you recommend?

Most importantly: are you TEAM DRAGON or TEAM UNICORN?

No comments