Reading Update: What I've Read Recently


I've finally found a routine to get myself back into reading fully. I've read quite a lot in the past few months, especially since the school year ended. Here are some of the books I've read recently and what I thought of them...


My Emma Carroll binge!

I have read three books by Emma Carroll in the last couple of months, including Secrets of a Sun King, The Tale of Truthwater Lake and The Week at World's End. All three of them have been absolutely incredible, 5-star reads. I have since bought four more of her books and will most likely read them all before the end of 2023. I am also going to try and read an Emma Carroll book with my Year 6 class this coming school year. If you've read books by Emma Carroll, what is your favourite?


Thursday's Child by Noel Streatfeild

This is a book that I've been wanting to read since I was a child but with new releases and so many books to choose from, it kept getting left on the TBR pile. However, I got Cameron to choose my next read from the bookcase earlier this month and this is the one he picked. It was a nice, cosy read during the rainy weather at the start of August and I can definitely see why it's a childhood favourite.


Global by Eoin Colfer

This is the first graphic novel I have ever read in full. Until now, I've only flicked through similar books and read a few pages to get a feel for them, but I sat in bed one morning this month and read the whole thing from start to finish. I loved the two perspectives and the message behind the book. Again, it's one I will try to share with my class this coming year. It's such a relevant and powerful book for our time.


The Ones That Disappeared by Zana Fraillon

I've read a couple of books by Zana Fraillon before: a picture book and another novel. This book was incredibly hard-hitting as it deals with the subject of human trafficking and slavery, with this story following a group of children who escape their captor. As hard as it was to read in parts, I couldn't put it down. I think I read the whole book in three sittings. It's definitely worth a read!


The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

This was a reread but I adore this book. I read it to my Year 3 class last month after telling them it was one of my favourite books ever. They were all so invested in the story of Edward and his journey. I hoped for a great reaction to the ending of the book and I certainly got it. The room filled with gasps and a couple of children even cried. I feel like this is a book that I will reread regularly for years to come.


Ghost by Jason Reynolds

I've heard great things about Jason Reynolds' books so I decided to give this one a go. I became very invested in the main character's life very quickly and wanted him to do well. I also got so into the book that I downloaded the audiobook so I could continue "reading" it whilst on the treadmill. It's hard-hitting in parts and deals with some tragic issues but it was brilliantly written. I'd like to read the other books in this series at some point too.


How to Kill Your Family by Bella Mackie

Yes, I read an actual adult book. I was surprised too! Cameron read this book a few months back and told me how good it was and he wanted to talk about it with someone. Cameron has recently been sucked into the world of books (I'd like to take some responsibility for that!) and often reads on his Kindle before bed, so I read it to talk with him about it. It was a good book and I like things with a "true crime" feel. It also managed to bring some light and humour to the situation in a clever way throughout the book.


I'm currently reading:


I'm reading Once by Morris Gleitzman for two reasons. One, it has been on my TBR list for years, Two, it's the first book I'll be reading with my Year 6 class in September for our World War II topic. I'm only three chapters in and I'm already hooked. It's only around 150 pages long so I'm sure I'll be finished soon, but I'm enjoying Gleitzman's writing so far and reading from Felix's perspective.


Have you read any of these books? Have you got any book recommendations for me?


No comments