Book Review: One Enchanted Evening by Anton Du Beke


I am so excited to be bringing you this book review today. I have been looking forward to reading this ever since I first saw it announced on Twitter. I've been a fan of Anton as a dancer for years, so I was intrigued to see what his writing was like. I was very lucky to be sent a copy of the book before the release date to review.

Here's the synopsis:


Inside the spectacular ballroom of the exclusive Buckingham Hotel the rich and powerful, politicians, film stars, even royalty, rub shoulders with Raymond de Guise and his troupe of talented dancers from all around the world, who must enchant them, captivate them, and sweep away their cares. Accustomed to waltzing with the highest of society, Raymond knows a secret from his past could threaten all he holds dear.


Nancy Nettleton, new chambermaid at the Buckingham, finds hotel life a struggle after leaving her small hometown. She dreams of joining the dancers on the Grand Ballroom floor as she watches, unseen, from behind plush curtains and discreet doors. She soon discovers everyone at the Buckingham - guests and staff alike - has something to hide...


The storm clouds of war are gathering, and beneath the glitz and glamour of the ballroom lurks an irresistible world of scandal and secrets. 


Now, historical fiction is not my usual choice of genre but I really wanted to give this book a go. Also, I often reach for YA novels so picking up an adult fiction book was a nice change. The synopsis definitely had me interested and after reading a sneak peek online I really couldn't wait to dive into the full book.

First of all, I really loved the setting. The hotel and the ballroom, I just adored it. I started reading this book the night of the first Strictly Come Dancing live shows and they went so well together. I got to be excited for the TV show and for the book. The show finished and then I immediately climbed into bed and read almost half of the book in one sitting. It was amazing. As well as loving the setting, I also really enjoyed the era. This period has always been of interest to me but I've never really picked up any books set in this time frame. It was something different for me but I'm so glad I went for it.

I immediately fell in love with some of the characters, especially Raymond and Nancy. They were just brilliantly written and so well-presented that it was very easy to envisage them within the story. I adored the interactions of the people at the hotel, both through description and dialogue.

I thought the writing was really easy to follow and the plot was addictive. I found myself constantly wanting to read on, even when it was nearing midnight and I had work the next day, it was a real struggle to get myself to put it down. It was a pleasure to read from start to finish, with a great storyline and beautiful wording.

I would give this book:


As I have said before, this is not my usual choice of book in terms of being historical fiction, but after reading this and falling in love with the era and the setting of the hotel and the ballroom, I think I need to find more books like this one.

Overall, it is a brilliant debut novel with class, drama and dancing.

Anton Du Beke's writing has also left me wanting more so I hope to see more from him in the future.

You can order One Enchanted Evening here.


No comments