Film Review: Everything, Everything


I have been waiting for this movie for SO LONG! It came out in the US and various other countries months ago - in fact I think it's already out on DVD in some places already - but finally the UK get's this film today.

I went to the first showing at my local cinema because I couldn't wait any longer. 

This film is based on a book of the same name by Nicola Yoon and it was one of the best books I read in 2016. I heard about this film right after I'd read the book and I have basically been waiting since then to see it. It's been over a year since I read it so I've been waiting a while.

So, here it what I thought of the film adaptation...


 


There were definitely differences between the book and the film, with parts of it being done differently to how I imagined and others being missed out completely. But that's not to say it was a bad thing. I think it's pretty obvious that I was always going to be critical because I loved the book so much but I also wanted to love the film because it was amazing to see one of my favourites come to life on screen.

The characters of Maddy and Olly - Olly being my favourite - were just how I wanted them to be. They made the film what it is because of their on-screen chemistry and skills as young actors. I can't wait to see what else they do in the future (I know that Amandla, who played Maddy, will star in the film adaptation of The Hate U Give and Nick, who played Olly, is playing the lead role in Simon Vs The Homo Sapiens Agenda, which is also based on a popular YA book).



The film is pretty short at just over 90 minutes and I kind of wish it was longer to try and include a bit more from the book and to take their time a little bit more, but it was still a good length. I suppose they could have made it longer but then it might have dragged out a bit too much, so that's probably why it is the duration that it is.

The music was also a great addition to the film, it was a perfect soundtrack to go with the iconic book scenes shown on screen.

My favourite scenes and the most memorable lines from the book were all included and done exactly how I wanted them to be done. Olly was definitely my favourite character, Nick was spot on with how I imagined him. Amandla was also incredible and did a perfect job of portraying Maddy.




I gave this film:



I would still prefer to read the book but I'm just so happy that they made this film because it means those who haven't or won't read the book get to experience the story through film.

It was worth the year wait and definitely worth the extended wait since it came out in the US months ago! It's a lovely young adult romance with a twist. I'd definitely recommend it, whether you've read the book or not... but definitely read the book. I've left a link below if you want to order it.



Buy the book here.


No comments