My Recipe Box: Snickerdoodles

 
These are one of my favourite biscuits and although I don't think you can beat the real American ones I have tried my best to make the closest thing to it.

The best one I've ever had was actually on an American Airlines flight to New York a couple of years ago.

Snickerdoodles (makes approx. 18 biscuits)

You will need:

For the biscuit dough:
  • 160g caster sugar
  • 60g salted butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 240g plain flour

For the coating:
  • 1 tbsp caster sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon

1. Cream together the sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and the egg until smooth.

 
2. Sieve the flour a bit at a time into the mixture along with the cinnamon and baking powder.
3. Using your hands, roll the dough into a ball before covering the bowl with foil or cling film and leave to rest for half an hour.


4. While the dough is chilling in the fridge mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the coating in a small bowl.
5. Preheat your oven to 180 about ten minutes before you take the dough back out of the fridge.


6. Remove the dough from the fridge and pull off small, what I call 'ping pong ball' sized, pieces. Roll these small chunks into little balls and gently roll them around in the cinnamon-sugar mixture before spacing them evenly apart (see below).


7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the biscuits have turned a lovely golden brown.
8. Remove from the trays gently and place on a cooling tray.

 
If you try this recipe don't forget to take pictures and send them to me on Twitter or Instagram, and let me know what you think of them.

 

No comments