Book Review: Cat on the Run: Cat of Death by Aaron Blabey


I have been so excited to review this book! I have been really into graphic novels recently, especially since their popularity has been evident in my last two classes, so it was great to see this one by Aaron Blabey being released.

Aaron Blabey's The Bad Guys books were really popular in my Year 3 class last year, so I've been wanting to see what this latest book brings. Something I have really been promoting this year in my Year 6 class is that picture books and graphic novels are for everyone, not just younger children. Although I want them taking part in sustained reading with a chapter book to build their reading level, I will always allow my class to read whatever they choose during Reading for Pleasure time... and that's where books like this one come in!


Graphic novels have been really growing in popularity over the past couple of years. It is great that there feels like a bridge has been built for those children moving on to access longer books instead of simpler picture books. This is a chance for them to enjoy illustrations and build that stamina, whilst keeping that enjoyment of reading. I really do think books like this one are the key to keeping children reading.

This book has been made relatable through the idea of being an online video star and is accessible through the illustrations and great storytelling. It's an easy, very enjoyable read. 

I'm looking forward to seeing where this series goes, as the final page states that the next instalment of this story is 'COMING SOON!'

Thank you to Scholastic for sending me a copy of this book to review. All views and opinions are my own and are not swayed by the gifting of the book. If you would like to purchase this book, you can find it here.


No comments