Wellness & Fitness: Going to the Gym


I've been going to the gym for a little while now. I had a few periods where it was on and off (with some long periods of "off") but recently - after getting over my second bout of COVID - I've been trying to get back into a routine.

It's not perfect, but that is exactly why I wanted to share it on my blog. So many of the people who post about their gym journey online give this image of it all looking so put together. There are some great pages out there that show the true picture of working out and what time in the gym can look like, which I love! I want to be a part of that by sharing what my gym experience has been like so far and what I've been doing.

When do I go to the gym?

In an ideal world, I would be able to go to the gym at least 4-5 times a week. I do enjoy it and even though I sometimes don't love the thought of going, I really do like it once I'm in there.

However, this isn't that perfect world; I have a full-time job and other aspects of life sometimes take priority over the gym (unfortunately). On a good week, I get to the gym three days a week. At the moment, work is busier and requires a bit more of my attention, but in a couple of months that will calm down a bit and I will be trying to go back up to four times a week... but, for now, three is what I'm working with.

The first day I go to the gym in the week is usually a Wednesday - which I call "Wellbeing Wednesday". I try to leave work as soon as I can on a Wednesday so I can spend a bit of time doing some things for myself. This usually involves going to the gym, a long bath with some skincare and doing an activity that I see as relaxing (e.g. reading, journaling, blogging, playing Dreamlight Valley, etc.)

The next day I get to the gym is a Friday. This is mainly because I teach PE on a Friday so I am already in gym clothes and ready to go. It also rounds off my working week and I know I can then relax and enjoy my Friday evening and my Saturday lay-in.

I take a break on Saturday, but will always try and do something like a long walk or some kind of yoga activity at home. I then hit the gym again on Sunday, usually early in the day so I can enjoy the remainder of my weekend before the working week starts again.


What do I do at the gym?

Again, I am not someone who is gym-obsessed and has a set routine but I do try to cover different areas on different days. If I go to the gym three times a week, I try to do one day on upper body, one day on lower body and one day on cardio. Sometimes this changes and I swap out one of those days for abs and core. It's not strict and I will deviate from it sometimes. If I don't fancy doing the upper body day, I'll spend an extended time on the treadmill or StairMaster. It's still better than nothing!

My favourite days are lower body and abs/core. I don't love upper body but I still do it - I was referred to as "Twiglet" at school for my skinny arms so maybe that's why I find it harder and enjoy it less. 

It took me a while to get confident with using some of the machines. Luckily I had my friend Caitlin with me when I first moved to my current gym. At my other gym prior to this, I literally only used the treadmill at walking speed because I felt so self-conscious about trying new equipment. It felt like you were always being watched or judged, especially as it was so bright and open. However, the new gym that I'm at now is more dimly lit, more relaxed and I've never felt like I've been watched whilst working out or felt uncomfortable about going there alone to use any machines.


What is the end goal?

There is nothing in particular I'm working towards. I do want to feel comfortable and confident on my summer holiday, so I guess that is something I'm aiming for but that isn't the "end goal". The overall aim is to feel happy, healthy and confident and I will continue to go to the gym as long as it helps me feel all of those things.


I look forward to sharing more of my gym experience in the future, maybe being a bit more specific with workouts and how fitting in the gym happens as a working girl (once I have a more established routine and have it figured out a bit more). But whatever your fitness journey looks like, know that it's making a difference and that any step towards this lifestyle is better than none at all.

No comments