Book Review: Heartbreak Boys by Simon James Green


Hi!

I'm back with another book review for you and this is a book that I have been desperate to read since I first head about it at the Scholastic Showcase event at the start of the year (just before everything turned weird!)

First of all, here is the synopsis for Heartbreak Boys:

At the start of summer, Jack and Nate find themselves dumped as their respective exes, Dylan and Tariq, start up a new relationship together. Not only that, their exes start posting pics on social media, showing the whole world how fabulous their new life together is!

Jack and Nate are reeling. Not to be outdone, they decide to create their own 'highlights reel' and show their exes that they're having an even better time.

But between the depressing motorway service station motels, damp campsites, and an ultimate showdown with the exes, something epic really is happening: Jack and Nate are learning to get over their heartache and open themselves up to new possibilities for love.

Now, on to the review...

I have to start by saying I love Simon James Green. I adore all of his books and I am also very lucky to have an advanced copy of his first middle grade novel, Life of Riley: Beginner's Luck, which I will review around it's September release date (but I will tell you that it's a great book!)

Anyway, let's stick to Heartbreak Boys for now!

Now - before I get to talking about what's inside the book - I know you're not supposed to "judge a book by it's cover" but can we just take a moment to appreciate how amazing the cover illustration is! Liam Drane has done a fantastic job - I love it!

I usually talk about the plot and the storyline as a whole first when I'm writing a review, but today I can't help but go straight to talking about how incredible Simon James Green's writing is! His writing style is just - in a word - perfect. He always manages to capture my attention from the first first page, really hook me in and makes a book very hard to put down (even when it's 1am and I have to work the next day!) I find his writing hilarious; the dialogue and inner thoughts are always spot-on in terms of humour and have made me laugh out loud on many occasions. This one is no different as we follow Jack and Nate through this book and live through the most amazing romantic-comedy moments with them.

Now, onto the story. The storyline for this book is just so much fun, as the boys try to have the best summer ever - or at least have it appear that way! This story is very much character-driven in my eyes as Jack and Nate learn more about themselves and each other, with them both opening up and moving on from heartache. This book is described as "a coming-of-age road trip rom-com for the social media generation" and I can definitely agree with that statement.

Overall, I adored this book. I have already recommended it to one of my best friends who I know will love this and I know I will be recommending it to many other book-loving friends too. This was just the kind of book I needed to read recently whilst living in these bizarre times. It was uplifting, fun and romantic.

Heartbreak Boys is out today and you can buy your copy here!

No comments