Film Review: First Man


Hi guys, I'm back with another film review! I haven't reviewed many movies recently, mainly because I haven't been going to the cinema as much as I usually would. This is for a few reasons, including that there hasn't been that many films that I've been interesting in over the past few months and that I have been really busy!

But here I am, finally bringing you a review for First Man which I saw last weekend...



Space and the stars and planets have always been a topic of interest for me. I still remember doing space as a topic when I was in year 5 at school (This was when Pluto was still classed as a planet). It made a lasting impression on me, although I was already in love with space before then because of my dad. My dad bought me a telescope and a space encyclopaedia when I was young and used to take me out stargazing. 

So, as you can imagine, seeing a film about Neil Armstrong and the moon landing definitely appealed to me. I already knew some details about his life and his training with NASA but I didn't know everything that they included in this film. The story of his life shown in this film was very thorough and - in a word - long. It's not that I wasn't interested in seeing all of these details of his life but I found myself switching off at times as it was slow at times. I understand why though because it all built up to the bigger picture and may have been rushed and weird without all of these parts, but I just didn't connect with it in the way I hoped.


What I did connect with was Ryan Gosling's portrayal of Neil Armstrong. I thought he was fantastic as the lead and - without spoiling anything - there were a few emotional moments that really got to me. There was only one issue I had with Ryan in this film and it is completely irrelevant and should not have any impact on whether you see this film or not. There were a few times that I looked at Ryan Gosling and thought that he looked exactly like YouTuber Jake Paul. It's not a good or a bad thing, it has nothing to do with the movie but I just saw it in one scene and then couldn't unseen it. Like I said, it's completely
pointless and should not make a difference but I thought I'd share just incase anyone else thought it too (but it's probably just me!) To end on a more positive note, I really do think Ryan Gosling did a fantastic job and the rest of the cast were also prominent and talented in the roles they played.

The scene with the moon landing is eerily quiet but entrancing and beautiful. It's incredible to watch, it looks stunning. They do, however, brush over the planting of the flag on the moon. It is shown but they don't actually show it being put in the ground. I know a lot of people look at this and see it as a reason to believe that the moon landing wasn't real, so maybe that's why it was left out, but what they do include looks brilliant.

I'd give this film:


I wish I could give it more but it really was a long film that felt dragged out at times and I switched off for a little while in the middle somewhere. I loved the idea of Armstrong's story being told and the scenes near the end on the moon were beautiful, but overall I just didn't love it as much as I thought I would. Maybe I built it up too much in my head and was expecting something else, but I don't know what.

I still liked it and I would recommend it to those who have an interest in space, seeing how everything built up to the mission, or just to find out a bit more about Neil Armstrong's personal and family life, as it was interesting.


If you've seen this film, let me know what you thought of it.

No comments