Film Review: Bohemian Rhapsody


I finally managed to find the time to fit in a trip to the cinema, which is surprising seeing as this is one of the busiest weeks I've had in a long time. However, Clay was desperate to see Bohemian Rhapsody, a film based on the life and talent of Freddie Mercury and the band Queen.

So here is my review...

I've never been a die-hard Queen fan, but I do like their music. They're just iconic and pretty much everyone knows at least one song by them. I actually had the pleasure of seeing Queen + Adam Lambert perform live a few years ago and they were incredible, but the main reason I know so much about them and their music is because my husband is a massive fan.

So, on with the review. I have to start by mentioning the cast and their appearance because I was blown away by how similar they were, especially
Freddie Mercury and Brian May. There were times when I forgot I was watching actors playing them, feeling like I was watching a documentary on Queen rather than a movie about them. I was very impressed with Rami Malek, who was portraying Freddie Mercury, as his overall performance, presence and personality in the role was brilliant.

Like I said, there were times that I forgot that I was watching a film rather than a real-life documentary, which meant that during some of the music performances I also went to clap quite a few times. I loved the amount of music that they included, showing the songs in a range of scenarios, from rehearsals to the recording studios to stadium shows. I also loved that they used the true voice of Freddie Mercury in the film, along with additional vocals recorded by a Canadian singer called Marc Martel. 


Another thing I really liked about this film was the storyline of Freddie's life and how they ended the movie. This is a slight spoiler but I'm assuming that most people reading this will know that Freddie passed away. I had wondered whether they would close out the film with a happy moment or if they would go deeper into his life and show anything of him dying. Thankfully they did it in the way I wanted to see this movie end, which was with a performance. They used Queen's set at Wembley for Live Aid as the final scene, which I think left the legacy of the band in a great place rather than making it darker for the final images. They did still acknowledge Freddie's illness and death in words after the final scene, which was also very important and I liked how they did this.

I think this film shows a really interesting, detailed account of Freddie's life when it comes to music, family, love, friendship and death. We get to see this take on an icon creating legendary lyrics and music, how he interacted with his bandmates and what went into a performance, but it also shows his relationship with his family members, especially his parents, and the romance side of his life, both female and male.


I have given this film:


I couldn't give this film anything less than five stars. It was gripping, entertaining and informative. I enjoyed every moment and felt every emotion. I honestly cannot recommend this film enough, especially if you love music or are interested in the life of someone truly iconic. His story and his music will live on and I think this film has done a fantastic job in portraying Freddie Mercury and Queen's creations, struggles and successes.

If you've seen Bohemian Rhapsody, let me know what you thought of it.

No comments