Book Review: Mary and Frankenstein


I'm so excited to be review this book today on my blog for a number of reasons. First of all, anyone who knows me will tell you that I absolutely love all things autumnal. I love pumpkins, the chill in the air, the colours and the nights drawing in. It gives off a somewhat spooky vibe, which brings me to Halloween. Although I'm not huge on big scares and gore, I do like Halloween and that is mainly down to the scary stories.

Like I said before, I'm not one for true horror and gore but I book like a mild spooky tale. That being said, one unforgettable scary story that I loved when I first read it years ago was Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. 

This stunning picture book, which was very kindly sent to me by Andersen Press, details how Mary Shelley came to write her iconic novel in a beautifully simplistic and child-friendly format.

Below, I have a few snapshots of the fantastic artwork featured in the book, all illustrated by the very talented Julia Sarda. Obviously, the art begins with the front cover of the book but it continues right away with these incredible endpapers that show the cast of characters.


The illustration below is one of my favourite images from the book, which features a young Mary. The text that is next to the picture is always directly related and helps the reader to put an image to a moment in Mary's life. As an adult I can fully appreciate these illustrations in terms of the talent and time that they take, but they are also fantastic for the children reading it because it can help those who are building on their imagination and learning.


And below is another of my favourite pieces from the book, with this image of the monster towering over a startled Mary, who has awoken from a dream with an idea for her book. This is the moment the story really started to come to life.


As well as receiving this beautiful book, I was also sent this amazing limited edition art print (below), which I already have plans for. It's such a key moment in the story, so to have a special print of this scene is incredible. Thank you again to Andersen Press.


I think this book is perfect for anyone who likes Frankenstein. It is not exclusively for young readers because it's a picture book because I feel that everyone could appreciate this story of Mary's life and these illustrations. It's just the kind of book I like to pick up at this time of the year and it has definitely made me want to reread Frankenstein

You can find out more about the book here, along with other releases by Andersen Press.


* I would like to add that despite being sent this book for review by the publisher, all comments and views towards it are my own.

No comments