Film Review: Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again

  
I cannot believe that I haven't written a film review in over a month! This is because I haven't been to the cinema in over a month though. I've just been so busy these past few weeks, plus I lost my glasses (which I have since found) so I had to wait almost two weeks for my new ones. 

Anyway, enough about me and my missing eye-wear. I finally got to see Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again. I was attending YA Prom on opening night so I knew I was going to have to wait to see it, but I also needed to see it as soon as possible.

Some people will know this about me already but I'm about to share it with you all, no matter how embarrassing you may think it is: I saw the first Mamma Mia movie at the cinema 11 times! Yep. 11 times. 11 trips to the cinema to see the same film. I should mention that I have a Cineworld Unlimited Card so it wasn't so bad in terms of cost, but I understand how it makes me look like a crazy person.

So, as you can imagine I wanted to see this new film desperately. And no, I will not be seeing this one 11 times. I don't think. Maybe. Anyway, here is my review for Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again...


First of all, it was fantastic to see the main cast return for this follow-up movie all these years later. I actually couldn't believe it had been ten years since the first film. Where has that time gone?

The cast were great the first time around, but to have new, very talented people joining them only made me more excited to see it. Lily James is one of my absolute favourites so I was really happy to see her taking on a lead role of a young Donna. The young love interests were also brilliant and were exactly how I imagined them to be. Everyone was brilliant and we got to see a good amount of everyone considering it is such a large cast.

The storyline was brilliant, as we go back and forth between the past, when Donna meets the three guys and sets herself up on the island, and the present, where Donna's daughter Sophie is getting ready for the re-opening of the hotel. This isn't really a spoiler in my eyes because it's in the adverts and I feel like it's just general knowledge now, but Meryl Streep's character has passed away in this new film so the other characters in the present day are also dealing with her loss too. The swapping over of the two timelines is done very well and it's easy to follow. It's an enjoyable plot but I would say that you do need to watch the first film before seeing this one. I've seen a few people writing that you don't need to have seen the original, and while I think you could probably make sense of this without seeing it, I feel the background knowledge is necessary.


Onto the songs... I loved them! The first film (or rather the musical) definitely used the most well-known songs, but this movie has some brilliant tracks. My all-time favourite ABBA song is "One Of Us" which is used in this new film. I didn't realise it was in the film until I looked up the soundtrack on the way to the cinema so that was a lovely surprise for me. The quality of the singing is also very good, with Lily James stealing the show for me. She really is incredible.

Visually, this film is beautiful. The setting is stunning, the costumes are perfect and some of the shots are breathtaking. The "Dancing Queen" scene on the boats looks amazing and it made me want to get up and join in. I think that must have been the most fun scene to film. I smiled the whole way through it.

Speaking of smiling, I also teared up a few times too. I cry a lot anyway, you guys know that it doesn't take much, but some parts of this film really got to me. By the end though I had a massive smile on my face and I could have sat and re-watched the whole thing again right there and then.


I'd rate this film:


It had fantastic music, a brilliant cast with a guest appearance from Cher and a returning scene for Meryl Streep, fun, laughter, tears, smiles, beautiful scenery and a small comedic scene at the end of the credits (so stick around until the very end if you want to see that!)

I just loved it and I hope that I have the chance to see it again at least once more at the cinema. Luckily, it's the summer holidays now so I should have time for another cinema trip very soon.


Have you seen Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again yet? If so, what did you think?

Do you have any film recommendations for me?

No comments