Book Review: Open Road Summer by Emery Lord


I have been wanting to read this book for so long! It has been out in the US for a few years now but it has only just been released here in the UK this month. I kept toying with the idea of ordering it from America through the Book Depository but I'm so glad that I waited to have the UK version in my hands!

I first came across Emery Lord when I spotted the book The Names They Gave Us in my local library. I fell in love with the cover so I had to pick it up, despite knowing nothing about it. I liked Emery's writing style, so I was very happy when her book The Start of Me and You was included in the WHSmith Zoella & Friends Book Club. This book quickly became one of my favourite reads of last year and is still a firm all-time favourite. I also own When We Collided, which I won through a giveaway on GoodReads a long time ago, but I still haven't read it. I must get to it this summer!

As I said, Open Road Summer is a book that I've been wanting to read for ages and I thought I would share my thoughts on it now that I've read it...

I will start by saying how absolutely beautiful the cover of this book is. 

It's a stunning companion to my copy of The Start of Me and You, and although I don't own the book it also goes with The Names They Gave Us. I love it when book covers all match each other. I think the artwork on this one might be my favourite though. I just love the colours and how bright and summery it feels.

So this story follows Reagan, a teenager who is travelling with her best friend and country singer superstar Lilah, who is starting her summer tour. Both girls are nursing a broken heart after very different breakups, but they are excited to have some girl time on the road together. Then singer Matt Finch joins the tour and the connection between him and Reagan proves difficult to ignore.

This book covers romance, friendship and fame in a brilliantly balanced way.

I love the plot of this book, following the girls around on tour and seeing how their friendship works with the attention that comes with Lilah's fame. I especially loved the romantic storyline that was woven into the book once Matt arrived.

Matt was definitely my favourite character. 

He was a great addition and I just adored every part that he was in. I lived for his dialogue, especially his lyrics. I loved the way he spoke with Reagan, with how honest and open he appeared to be with her. 

I really liked Lilah, because she was so down-to-earth despite being famous and the centre of attention. I liked how not everything came naturally to her, things weren't always easy, such as being interviewed or having stories about her brought to public attention.

Then we have Reagan, the main character we follow through this book, and I thought she was brilliantly written. She wasn't perfect but I love that about her. There were parts where I wanted to reach into the book and shake her, especially towards the end of the book when I just wanted her to see sense, but I also really liked that she was this way. She was trying to be strong and stand up for herself after everything she had been though, but she could still be independent and learn to listen and trust.

Emery Lord has a way of writing that just draws me in from the very first chapter.

The writing just flows so well and it is perfectly structured and paced. Emery's books have all been so easy to read and I think this is down to the fact that her writing always leaves me wanting more and before you know it you've read the whole book!

I have rated this book:



This book was a perfect summertime read.

Also, if anyone here is a fan of Taylor Swift, especially when she started out with her country music, I would love to know if you pictured Taylor as Lilah. Or for the fans that know her best childhood friend Abigail, did Lilah and Reagan's friendship make you think of them? Because it did for me!

It also made me want to go and listen to my country music playlist. I do love my country music, from your old classic country tracks to the newer, more contemporary country songs.

Now I want to dig out my cowboy boots from the back of the wardrobe!

If you want to see what I had to say about The Start of Me and You, you can watch any of the videos linked below:
My Top Reads of 2017
Zoella & Friends Book Club (unboxing)
Zoella & Friends Book Club (review)
Janay Recommends: 5 Favourite Books

It was definitely worth the wait, I definitely recommend it and I cannot wait to see what she writes next!

You can buy a copy here.

But now, I need to get reading When We Collided.


No comments