Film Review: Wonder


This is going to be quite a short film review for two reasons:

1. I don't want to talk about it too much because if I could say one thing it would be "Go and watch this for yourselves."

and

2. Whenever I think about this film in a deeper way so that I can write a real review for you, I tear up and have to stop writing.

So, here is a quick review for this film...


First, the cast. Jacob Tremblay is perfection in the role of Auggie Pullman. The whole child cast in general were absolutely amazing, such a talented bunch, but Jacob in this lead role is obviously the star of the show.

If you don't know the story of Wonder by R.J. Palacio, I would recommend that you read the book because it's beautifully written. The main criticism of a book-made-film is whether it holds true to the original story, and this was incredibly close the the book. There were a few changes and some parts that were left out, but they included so much. I had actually only read the book the week before the film came out because I like to have something to compare it to when the book came first.

The storytelling was wonderful and the way that each character's role was explained and woven into the story as a whole was amazing. They split the story up in the book, and the film, so you can see how things are for characters other than Auggie, such as his older sister, Via, and his new friend Jack Will.

I'm starting to tear up again, thinking about certain scenes so I won't talk about them in too much detail, but I will say that I was crying about fifteen minutes in when Auggie has a conversation with his mum. I think I cried about six or seven times throughout the film and towards the end I was just a blubbering mess, trying not to make any noises in a crowded cinema.

I would rate this film:


It was simply incredible. I'm so glad that I made the decision to see this film, and I'm even happier that I read the book first because having the full, detailed story first made everything more real. I would highly recommend this film, even if you think it isn't for you. It's an incredible story about family, friendship, bravery and love.

"When given the choice between being right or being kind, choose kind." - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer


Have you seen this film? Let me know what you think in the comments or on Twitter.

No comments