Film Review: Star Wars: The Last Jedi


I was gutted that I couldn't go out and see this film on opening night, but my husband was busy and I couldn't go without him. He'd never forgive me if I did that. That would be like him going to see The Greatest Showman without me (which he won't be doing because I've already booked our tickets and I'm very excited for it!)

Anyway, back to Star Wars. This film has been a bit under the radar for me. I knew it was coming out and I wanted to see it, right back at the beginning of the year, but I didn't really start to get excited about it until a couple of months ago.

So, here's what I thought of it (without any spoilers!)

 


First of all, I should have probably rewatched the previous film before going to the cinema because I've only seen Episode VII once and that was at the cinema when it came out, which was ages ago! So it took me a little while to remember who was who and what was going on. I liked that it got straight into a fight scene to really kick things off.

Once the characters came back to me, I remembered how much I loved Kylo Ren in the last film. Yes, I know he's the "bad guy" but this film really brings some focus on to him and shows why he is that way. It loved that we got returning characters, such as BB8, and some new characters too. Let me tell you to look out for one of the cutest creations I have ever seen: Porg. If you've seen the trailer then you might know what I'm on about. But if you liked Baby Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 then you wait until you see this film, you'll fall in love with another tiny character.

Speaking of characters, I loved the interactions between Kylo Ren and Rey in this film. I won't say too much as I don't want to spoil anything but I loved their scenes.

Also, a special mention for the late Carrie Fisher, who is an icon for these movies and will be dearly missed.


Now, I've talked a fair bit about the things that I loved, but it wasn't all amazing. There were a few points where I found my mind wandering and thinking about my to-do list. I just wasn't captured the whole time and that was a bit disappointing, but it was a midweek film and it's close to Christmas.

There was a particular scene that I did not like at all. Obviously I'm not going to tell you exactly which scene I'm talking about because that would be a spoiler. I would actually love to see a video of my reaction because I reckon it was was of the most confused looks anyone has ever had. Maybe I just didn't get the point of it.

There was also a lot of humour in this film, which also reminded me of Guardians of the Galaxy. Some bits were really funny and they worked, but there were a few that I just didn't think we needed at all.

I do think that the positives outweighed the negatives though as there were some truly spectacular moments and I just love this franchise as a whole.


I would give this film:


Overall, I really enjoyed this film. There were just a couple of scenes that really let it down for me. I came out of the cinema and said "I could watch that again now" but then after five minutes of thinking time I added, "But maybe half an hour in and without [insert spoiler scene that I really didn't like here]". I then realised that as much as I wanted to give this five stars - and I really thought I was going to - I couldn't because how can you give a film five stars if there's a huge chunk you weren't fussed about and a scene you really hated and didn't see the point in.

I'd still definitely recommend it, I'm not saying that it was a bad film because four stars is still very good. It just wasn't perfect for me.


What did you think of The Last Jedi?

No comments