Film Review: The Greatest Showman


Again, I feel like I start all of my film reviews like this but I have been waiting for this film for so long. I was mesmerised by the trailer and I've been in love with the soundtrack ever since the first songs were released.

This is my kind of film and I did go into the cinema with the highest of expectations, already convinced that I was going to adore it.

Read on to see what I actually thought after watching it...


 

Well. I could just write you a list of words. Like this:

Amazing.

Astounding.

Incredible.

Stunning.

Beautiful.

Sensational.

Fantastic.

Brilliant.

Superb.

Mesmerising.

And the list could go on. But I won't do that because that's not how reviews work. I honestly could just repeat words like this over and over again to describe it though.

I'll start by reminding you - or telling you if you don't already know me - that I cry in most films. It only takes one little moment to set me off. Name a film I've seen and I can probably tell you what made me cry.

Captain America: Civil War? I cried when Cap dropped his shield and when Bucky was put back under at the end.

Beauty and the Beast? The moment the film started and that ballroom scene.

Wonder? I didn't really stop crying.

You get the picture.


Guess how many times I cried during this film? Go on.

...

Let me tell you.

Six. Six times I was blubbering like a complete idiot.

I'd tell you when all of these times were but I don't want to spoil anything, however most of the crying sessions were down to the songs. I tried to hold it together but I couldn't.

The cast were amazing and the emotions they brought to every scene was incredible, whether it was the excitement of performing, the devastation of unrequited love or the anger from those who would not accept Barnum's Circus. It was a real rollercoaster ride but I enjoyed every single moment of it.



Let's talk about the soundtrack in more detail. Well, in short, it's amazing and I've had it on repeat, but I have to say that I can't imagine a better vocal cast for this film. 'This is Me' is a beautiful song and deserves every award that it's nominated for. 'Rewrite the Stars' is my favourite song, I love Zendaya and it's great to hear Zac Efron singing again. I loved him in High School Musical and Hairspray but this is by far my favourite film with him singing. 'A Million Dreams' is my other favourite, it gets stuck in my head and I'm constantly singing it. It's hard not to mouth along with the songs when you're watching it when you already know them all. Also, 'The Greatest Show' is just the big, feel-good song of the film. There isn't a single song that I don't like.


I would easily give this film:



It's simply incredible. A beautiful spectacle that I could watch again and again. The casting is spot on, it's visually stunning, the singing and the lyrics are perfect and it's one of those films that I could have watched straight away again as soon as it finished. I'll be keeping this soundtrack on repeat for as long as I can (which means until my husband has had enough and I've driven him crazy). Then again, I can either play the music or sing it myself and I know which one he'd rather never happened!


Actually, as I write this I can hear my husband singing 'This is Me' in the kitchen so maybe things will be alright and the music can stay on.

All that is left to say it that I thoroughly recommend this film. If you liked Les Miserables or La La Land then I think you'll adore this. It's just stunning.



Did you think that The Greatest Showman was 'The Greatest Show'? Share your thoughts below in the comments or over on Twitter.


No comments