Harry Potter: A History of Magic Exhibition Review


On Monday 23rd October, only three days after it opened, I went to the British Library in London to see the Harry Potter: A History of Magic exhibition.

First of all, I'd like to start by saying that all of the pictures I've used in this blog post are from the British Library website/Twitter or the Pottermore website because you are not allowed to take photos inside the exhibit. This rule is completely understandable and I'm actually glad when places have rules like this. It makes us put away our phones and actually enjoy something in person for a change, rather than seeing it through a screen.

So, here's what I thought of the exhibition...


 First of all, let's talk about that initial feeling as I walked into the first room (pictured below). It was dimly-lit, there was magical music playing and the first thing I noticed were the books suspended from the ceiling. I immediately turned to my husband and said, "I wish I could do that on our ceiling", which was met with a look that said "We are not hanging books from our living room ceiling". Well, I tried.

That first room is stunning and sets the tone for the rest of the exhibit. It truly felt as if we were stepping into a world of magic. Some of the first things you see are drawings by the very talented Jim Kay, some extracts from Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone written and annotated by hand by J.K. Rowling, plus some little sketches by her as well.


Each of the rooms that followed the entrance focused on a different area of magic. The beauty of this exhibition is that it perfectly blends the fictional world that J.K. Rowling created and old texts, scrolls and books that have been around for centuries.

You walk around each room, which is clearly marked with a topic area, such as 'Astronomy', 'Herbology' and 'Potions' (see picture below). Within each room you can see pieces of work by J.K. Rowling that link to each subject area, followed by texts that help to explain the reasoning behind the author's choices.

Something I found particularly interesting was the information on the Philosopher's Stone and Nicholas Flamel. I think a lot of people will go into this thinking that Nicholas Flamel is just a fictional character created for this book, not knowing the history behind the man. It was fascinating to read about him and see his gravestone. It just shows what a large role history has to play in the world of Harry Potter and other fictional writing.

There were a few times when I read something and could relate it to other books, such as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas. In the room with the cauldron I read quite a few things that related back to Sarah J Maas's work. I've seen in an interview before that she did a lot of research into faerie folklore and magic for her writing, so J.K. Rowling is not the only one who has used history to her advantage and done it exceedingly well.


Every subject room contained a good amount of information to support the work of J.K. Rowling. I would also say that every room held my interest and had me want to find out more, but I do have to say that my least favourite room was probably the herbology section. I just didn't feel quite so enthralled by the history of plants as I was by the astronomy and magical creatures section, but it is still worth the look.

There are also interactive activities in each room. My husband had a great time in the potions room making a potion to keep away bad dreams. It's great for those who have younger children who want to find out about the history of magic within the world of Harry Potter, but may need something more hands-on at times.

I also have to mention my favourite item in the exhibit, which I think everyone needs to see: An invisibility cloak. I thought this was a fantastic addition, and seeing the look on some of the children's faces when their parents told them there was an invisibility cloak in this glass cabinet was priceless. For me, that was what the magic was all about, it's such a clever idea.


Also, don't miss the gift shop. There is a small pop-up shop as soon as you exit the exhibit, which sells items with the exhibition poster image on (like the poster pictured above). You can pick up some very cheap items to remember your visit, such as a pencil that is only £1.50 and a button badge for £2. There is also a bigger gift shop when you get back into the main entrance hall with a lot more to look at and buy, including Hogwarts notebooks and scarves for each of the houses (I'm a Ravenclaw for anyone who is interested and my husband is a Hufflepuff!)

If you go to the exhibition, I hope you enjoy it and take away as much as I did. It's a truly magical experience that gives meaning to everything J.K. Rowling wrote and that, for me, only makes her writing even more incredible.

The exhibition is at the British Library in London until Wednesday 28 February 2018. Find out more here.



No comments