Film Review: Thor: Ragnarok


It's that time again. A new Marvel movie has just been released so you can bet anything that I was there for the first daytime showing. Unfortunately there was no midnight showing for us this time around as we were on our way back from London after seeing Aladdin in the West End for our first wedding anniversary, and we didn't get back home until around 12:30am, but I booked our tickets for the first screening in the morning.

So, here's what I thought of the third Thor film and the latest installment in this fantastic Marvel Cinematic Universe...

(Note: This is spoiler-free. I will only be revealing what we know from the trailers and what I thought of it)


First of all, let's talk about new characters. We meet a few in this film and I loved every single one of them. The three that we see most of in the trailers are the Grandmaster (played by Jeff Goldblum), Hela (played by Cate Blanchett) and Valkyrie (played by Tessa Thompson). I thought both of them were brilliant. I've always like Goldblum so I was confident that he'd impress me before I even saw the film. Tessa Thompson was a complete surprise for me. I wasn't sure what to expect but I loved that we got a strong female character with great fighting abilities. I can't wait to see how she is worked in to future Marvel movies. The character of Hela is an interesting one, and I will leave the telling of who she is and why she's there to the film, but I kind of wanted to see more of her as she sets her sights on Asgard. However, I'm still very happy with what we did get of Hela, so that's not to say I wasn't impressed with the portrayal.

There were other new characters, but I'll stick to talking about those three as I don't want to spoil the new additions for those who don't know about them yet. All I'll say is that one of them in particular - who isn't human - made me laugh so hard. I've definitely found a new favourite.


We also get returning characters too, including one of my absolute favourites: Loki (played by Tom Hiddleston). Loki has been a favourite of mine since the very beginning. I just love how Tom Hiddleston portrays him and even when he's doing wrong by our heroes, I can't help but love him and almost secretly route for him (OK, not so secretly - I'm definitely part of Loki's Army!)

Seeing Loki and (obviously) Thor return was great. I love their dynamic on screen and could honestly watch them together for hours. They just play off of each other so well. There are some brilliant scenes in this film with the two of them. Look out for the "Get Help" scene. The fighting these two do is also incredible.

We also get to see some of favourite Marvel characters from previous films added to the mix in this one too. I remember being so excited when I found out that we were getting the Hulk and Doctor Strange in this movie. We definitely get a lot more Hulk than we do Strange, so don't expect to see too much of Benedict Cumberbatch's sorcerer, but what he does in his short time is one of my favourite scenes.


The story moved quickly at the start (again, no spoilers so I won't tell you what happens quite quickly) but it helped to set up the rest of the film nicely and give that part of the plot a chance to develop properly.

I think that the plot is pretty easy to follow. Everything is explained clearly and with things going on in different places they have done a very good job and showing both storylines and merging them together nicely when needed.

There were also references to past films (especially with the Hulk and what happened to him in Avengers: Age of Ultron), so make sure you're aware of what's going on with him from that film before seeing this as it will help.


Knowing what I already know about the trailer for Avengers: Infinity War, this film sets up nicely for where we are heading. You will need to stay for the post credits scene, as always. There are actually two scenes this time around. The first is mid-credits and is definitely worth staying a few extra minutes for. The second is at the very end of the credits and isn't as vital to the storyline but is still a good one to stay and watch, but in my opinion the mid-credit scene is the one to watch.


I have rated this film:


So if it wasn't already obvious that I absolutely adored this movie, then here I am to tell you that Marvel have done another fantastic job with this film. The Thor movies have always been some of my favourites from the whole MCU collection and this is right up there too. The Thor films are always the more humorous ones and this one had me laughing through a lot of it. It also had it's serious moments and there were a couple of sad scenes too, but the humour really is up there with Guardians of the Galaxy.

I could've watched this film again straight after it finished and Clay said the same, which is unusual for him as normally when I say "I want to watch that again now" he'll say "No, I need to wait a while before seeing that again."

So, all that's left to say is bring on the next Marvel film - Black Panther - and let's get excited for Avengers: Infinity War! Hopefully we'll have a trailer for that soon!

Let me know what you thought of Thor: Ragnarok in the comments below, or get in touch through Twitter or Instagram.

No comments