Film Review: Goodbye Christopher Robin


From the moment I saw the movie trailer, I knew I had to see this film as soon as it was released. I went along on opening night last Friday to see it and here is what I thought...




This is the kind of film I like to watch at this time of year. Something that I can see becoming a classic, being inspired by a true story and having some history behind it too. Winnie the Pooh is something that I grew up with. Most of it was the animated Disney version, but when I was young my Mum bought me a huge, beautiful hardback book containing all of the Winnie the Pooh stories and Milne's poems. It still sits on my Mum's bookcase today, because she loves these stories so much. She even has a Christopher Robin and Winnie the Pooh statue in her garden. It's a lovely statue of Christopher Robin reading a book and Winnie the Pooh sitting in his lap.

With so much interest in the product, I was so happy to see that a film had been made based around the true story of how it came to be.



The cast where phenomenal. I couldn't fault a single cast member. Everyone did a fantastic job and I feel that you got to see enough of each character to really get a sense of who they were and their part in this story. The young boy who played Christopher Robin, or Billy Moon, as his parents and Nanny called him, was simply brilliant. He has a bright future ahead of him.

Some of it was quite hard to watch, as there were a few times where Billy gets upset or overwhelmed and there is also the subject of war, which always makes me teary. However, it was so well done and presented. It's one of those films that shows how it comes full circle, but you'll have to watch the film to see how that happens because I don't want to spoil anything.

I loved it when they ventured into the woods and start to create this incredible storybook world. The hundred acre woods is such an iconic book setting, so it was amazing to see it brought to live like this. Billy's toys were obviously a big part of this, using his bear, tiger, piglet and other toys that come up throughout the film to create this story. It's fascinating to see how something like this came together. It's just beautiful.


I'd rate this film:



It's honestly such a beautiful film and I would recommend it to anyone. It's going to be a classic, in my eyes, and one that I know I'll put on when I'm at home on a rainy Sunday afternoon in the future. If you grew up on tales of Winnie the Pooh, whether it was the book or the Disney animations, I would say that you have to see this film. To see this child's imaginary world come to life in his surroundings and on the page was an incredible thing to witness. I loved it and it will now be firmly placed as one of my favourite films of the year.


No comments