Janay & Friends: Favourite Books of 2017 So Far & Books We Still Want to Read in 2017


So this blog post has taken me SO LONG to put together but it's finally here. We're now over halfway through the year and I've read over eighty books. But I wanted to think about what my top five books were so far. I recruited a couple of book-loving friends to help me out and tell me five books that they've read and loved so far in 2017....



Meet Emilee...




Meet Molly...


Twitter


Then, of course, there's me!



So here are Emilee's top five stand-alone books and series so far this year:

1. A Court of Thorns and Roses Trilogy by Sarah J. Maas
: I read this entire series in May/June and I’m so extremely happy I did! I absolutely fell in love with the amazing world Sarah J. Maas creates for us, the incredible characters, and the story that had me in tears multiple times. An overall amazing series that I can’t stop thinking about.


2. Hunted by Meagan Spooner:
is a stunning retelling of the classic story of Beauty and the Beast. I’ve always loved Beauty and the Beast and I was excited to pick this up in March when it was released. I felt like I could relate to the main character Yeva, and Meagan’s writing style for this book made it even more gorgeous.


3. Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer: This is a heartbreaking contemporary about a grieving girl who leaves letters on her mother’s grave and one day gets a reply. I don’t often read contemporary novels as I’m much more interested in fantasy but I was not disappointed with this book. I loved the storyline, I loved the characters and I loved seeing the relationship between the two main characters. I had a lot of tears in my eyes with this one as well.


4. Alex & Eliza: A love Story: This is an historical fiction romance about Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler, inspired by the Hamilton musical by Lin-Manuel Miranda. I was excited about this book because I love historical fiction, I loved the Hamilton musical, and throughout the musical I loved the story between Alexander Hamilton and Eliza Schuyler. This didn’t disappoint me, and I loved every page of this book! It was such a sweet story, and I couldn’t get enough of it.


5. The Book of Ivy Duology by Amy Engel:
This is a dystopian novel that takes place 50 years after a huge nuclear war in America in a small town of survivors. I thought this was such an interesting book and really enjoyed it! Ivy is another character I found myself connecting to and I really loved the relationship between the two main characters and seeing that progress.



Here are Molly's top five books of 2017 so far:


1. A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowell:
I liked this book because It creates an air of understanding of people who are homeless and that not everyone there is going to continue 'bad habits'

2. WaterShip Down by Richard Adams: I found this book interesting to read because it is a story based on the story of rabbits and I feel it gets you thinking and understanding. 

3. The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins: I found this book hooking because of the constant suspense and change in the plot. You never know what will happen next, it's unpredictable.  

4. City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, book 4) by Cassandra Clare: I found this book gripping, full of suspense and action making you want to continue. Not only does it have great action but a fascinating love story.

5. Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli: I really like this book because It tells us what the Holocaust was like from a child's perspective but in an interesting way.



Finally, here are my top five stand-alone books and series so far this year (not in any particular order):

1. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover: This book had me in pieces. I have never cried so much at the events of a book and when I finished that final page and closed the book, I was in floods of tears over it. It was so raw and real. I actually bought this book as a gift for someone this week because it's so good. It's a difficult book to read at times as it deals with domestic violence but it's just incredibly well written. I'll definitely be reading more by Colleen.

2. Geekerella by Ashley Poston: This book is kind of a guilty pleasure read. It's a retelling of Cinderella in a modern day, contemporary setting where the ball is a costume ball at a convention and the pumpkin carriage is a vegan food truck. It's just a brilliant book and I thoroughly enjoyed this. I just loved it!

3. The One We Fell In Love With by Paige Toon: This is another book that I've since bought for someone as a gift because I loved it so much and needed someone else to read it. The story has a twist - which I obviously won't reveal - but it's so well written and had me hooked as soon as I read the description on the back.

4. The Selection series by Kiera Cass: This series is kind of another guilty pleasure. So many people were reading this and saying it's a lovely series to read when you don't want anything heavy and I definitely agree with that. It's romantic and easy to read. I like all five books but the first three - which kind of work as a trilogy - are the best. I've actually just ordered the colouring book to go with this book series because I can't get enough of these characters.

5. A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas: I know Emilee has picked this series too but I couldn't talk about my favourite books of 2017 without mentioning this series. I have a whole video about the series here. I just adore the writing and the characters, which I didn't expect because I'm not a big fantasy reader. I've since recommended this series to four friends and all four of them are hooked too. They're just so good and I need more of this world!


--------------------


So, those were the best books that we've read so far in 2017. But what about the books we want to read over the last six months of the year?

Here are Emilee's top five books on her TBR (to-be-read) pile:


1. Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas: After reading the A Court of Thorns and Roses series by the same author I knew I needed to read her other series as soon as possible. I’ve heard so many amazing things about these books, and I can’t wait to dive into it. I read about 8 pages of the first book already and I’m already in love and so intrigued with the story.
2. Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard: My friend recommended this series to me quite a while ago, and when I read the synopsis I knew immediately it was something I thought I would love. I finally got around to buying the first three books that are out already a couple months ago, but I keep pushing it back for a few other books I wanted to get out of the way before reading it. So I’m hoping to get these books in July.
3. Roar by Cora Carmack: This is the first book in a new fantasy trilogy that was released earlier in June. First, this cover is gorgeous and the story sounds interesting! A lot of bookstagramers I follow have already read this book and I’ve been hearing nothing but amazing reviews from them which gets me really excited for it.
4. Heartless by Marissa Meyer: I’ll be honest I wasn’t planning on buying this book. I had seen it around Instagram but didn’t know that much about it. I stumbled upon it at the store and saw just how gorgeous the cover was and knew I needed it. The story sounds interesting, and I love retellings/villain back stories so I’m excited to get to this.
5. Caraval by Stephanie Garber: Another book I heard about on Instagram, with a gorgeous cover! I was lucky enough to win this in a giveaway and it sounds good. I’ve been hearing mostly great things about this book as well.


Molly's picks for the rest of 2017 are:


1. The Diary Of Anne Frank: I'm a history Geek and I would love to read this book because it's a personal account of the war and I'm sure it's extremely interesting.

2. The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury: I love Fahrenheit 451 and I think that Bradbury is an amazing author, so I am excited to read this book.

3. The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon: I feel that this book would give me a great insight of a life with autism. I have seen the theatrical performance and I can't wait to read the book.

4. Out of Bounds -Val McDermid: I would love to read this book because it seems gripping and I love a thrilling book that does that.

5. Lady midnight by Cassandra Clare: I'm a great fan of her work and she continues to amaze and I don't doubt that this will be just as good.

Finally, here are my top five picks for the rest of the year:

1. Tower of Dawn by Sarah J Maas: I've just finished the Throne of Glass series (minus The Assassin's Blade, which I have just picked up from the library) and I can't wait for this next installment. It's all about Chaol, who I love as a character, and I just love Sarah's writing and world-building. She's amazing!


2. Songs About Us by Chris Russell
I read the first book in this series, Songs About a Girl, back in April and I loved it, so I can't wait for this second book. I've ordered it so it should be with me any day soon. If you like YA romance, music or are a fan of boy bands, like One Direction, then I think you'll love this series.


3. The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily BarrThis book is part of the WHSmith Zoella & Friends Book Club and it's probably the one I'm most excited to read over the next couple of months. I have been meaning to read it for ages and now I finally have a reason to pick it up.


3. The Start of Me and You by Emery LordAnother book in the WHSmith Zoella & Friends Book Club that's been on my TBR list for a while. It just sounds like my type of book and I love a good YA romance so I'm hoping this book lives up to my expectations. For me, the summer is the perfect time for a book like this.


5. An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret RogersonThis upcoming fantasy books sounds like the perfect pick for someone who loved the A Court of Thorns and Roses series. It's been one of my most anticipated releases for a while now and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I believe it's out in September, if you're interested.


--------------------

Thank you so much to Emilee and Molly for helping me with this blog post. It's been so lovely chatting to you and sharing in your choices. Don't forget to follow these two lovely ladies on their social media platforms at the links shown at the top of the post.

What are your favourite books of 2017 so far?

Which books are you excited to read next?

1 comment

  1. I'm finally just now getting around to reading this post! I've been so busy and just haven't had time to catch up on YouTube and blogs which makes me sad.

    I really enjoyed hearing the books you and Molly loved and want to read next. Thanks so much for inviting me to join in on this. 💗

    ReplyDelete