My Recipe Box: Night Court Sugar Cookie Bars


I posted this photo on my Facebook, Twitter and Instagram story last weekend and since then I've had so many people asking me how I made them and whether I could send them the recipe. So, I've decided to share it with you all.

This isn't my own recipe, but I did adapt it slightly. The original recipe had very bright frosting but it was called a "galaxy" sugar cookie. I wanted mine to look more like a galaxy/night sky, so I changed it up a bit.

I found this recipe in a party pack, posted on Twitter by Bloomsbury Kids, as an idea for something to bake if you were throwing a party for the release of Sarah J Maas's latest book, A Court of Wings and Ruin.

I wasn't throwing a party (unless a party for one is a thing!) but these sugar cookies sounded amazing. You can find the full party pack here. Thanks to Bloomsbury for the amazing idea.

So, here is how I made these Night Court sugar cookie bars, inspired by my favourite High Lord, Rhysand.




Night Court Sugar Cookies (makes approx. 12 bigger bars or 16 smaller squares):

You will need:

  • For the cookie:
    • 170g unsalted butter
    • 200g sugar
    • 280g plain flour
    • 2 eggs
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1/2 tsp salt
  • For the frosting:
    • 170g butter
    • 1 tsp vanilla extract
    • 320g icing sugar
    • 2-3 tbsp milk (in needed - I didn't need it)
    • Food colouring (I used 2 gel colours: black and blue)
    • Sprinkles (I used white chocolate stars and gold dot sprinkles)



1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 9x9 baking pan with butter.

2. Cream together the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy.



3. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for 1–2 minutes.

4. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined.



5. Put the sugar-cookie mixture into the pan, spreading it into an even layer.



6. Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.



7. Let cool for 10 minutes, then flip out onto cutting board and let cool completely.

8. For the frosting, cream together butter and sugar until really light and fluffy.



9. Mix in vanilla extract, and add enough milk to reach desired consistency (I actually didn't need to add any milk to mine).

10. Divide among three-four bowls, depending on how many colours you want (I did three colours - black, blue and white, but I'd could've done four if I found purple food colouring).

11. Colour each bowl with the desired amount of food colouring, leaving the last bowl white.



12. Dollop different colours of frosting over uncut bars.



13. Using a large offset spatula, apply firm pressure and swipe a stroke across.

14. Repeat this movement, going in the other direction. Try not to do this too many times otherwise the colour can all blend into one and look a funny colour!



15. Top with sprinkles and cut into individual bars.



I hope you enjoy making and eating these sugar cookie bars as much as I did. They were definitely the perfect sweet treat to go with A Court of Wings and Ruin.

Pick up your copy here, if you haven't already.




No comments