Film Review: Doctor Strange


Yay, another Marvel movie! I've been so excited about this film since I found out they were making it and that my favourite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch, was going to be the title character. By adding Cumberbatch to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, all three of my favourite actors are now part of Marvel films (the other two being Tom Hiddleston and Sebastian Stan).

I love that the UK get Marvel films earlier than some other countries, so while most people still have a week to wait, I've already had the privilege of seeing the latest movie from Marvel Studios.



So, let's start with the cast. I obviously love Benedict Cumberbatch, but Chiwetel Ejiofor is also brilliant so I was looking forward to seeing him in this. Overall, the whole cast was brilliant, including Mads Mikkelsen, Rachel McAdams, Benedict Wong and Tilda Swinton.

My favourite interactions happened between the two Benedicts. When you see it, look out for the scene where Beyonce is mentioned (it made me think of Guardians of the Galaxy).

Benedict Cumberbatch made the perfect Doctor Strange and I'm so glad that the studio waited for him to be available so that he could do this. I can't imagine anyone else as Strange.


Again, I won't be releasing any spoilers in this review because I know how much I hate reading the ones that let something slip, but this story is really well done. It goes through Stephen Strange's life as a neurosurgeon, his accident (shown in the trailer so I'm not spoiling it here) and on to how he tries to master magic.

The pace of the storyline works well and it wasn't one of those films that felt like I'd been sitting there for more than two hours.


I would give this film:


I really loved this. It wasn't your typical Marvel movie, with the use of such detailed visuals and illusions, although I did get hints of Guardians of the Galaxy with it. 

I can't wait to see what the MCU has in store for Doctor Strange!

P.S. A true Marvel fan stays to the end of the credits (there is a mid-credits scene - which was my favourite and I got way too excited - and an end-credits scene too!)


Have you seen this movie, and if not will you be seeing it?

No comments