Book Review: Cane Warriors by Alex Wheatle


Hi everyone, I'm back with another book review and this is one that I'm very excited to share with you.

Today I'm going to be talking about Cane Warriors by Alex Wheatle.

I was very kindly sent this book to review by Andersen Press but I'd like to stress that the fact that I was gifted this book does not in any way sway my opinion or the review that you are about to read. The views and comments below are all my own.

Now, on to the book...

First, here is the book synopsis:

Nobody free till everybody free.

Moa is fourteen. The only life he has ever known is working on the Frontier sugar cane plantation for endless hot days, fearing the vicious whips of the overseers. Then one night he learns of an uprising, led by the charismatic Tacky. Moa is to be a cane warrior, and fight for the freedom of all the enslaved people in the nearby plantations. But before they can escape, Moa and his friend Keverton must face their first great task: to kill their overseer, Misser Donaldson. Time is ticking, and the day of the uprising approaches...

If you didn't already know, this book is based on true events. It is based on the Akan slaves' uprising in 1760. This book follows that true story of Tacky's War in Jamaica, rising up against British slavers.

I absolutely loved the style of Alex Wheatle's writing. It was definitely the way in which this was written that had me hooked. I was turning page after page and before I knew it, I was at the end! The thing I found that captivated me the most was the speech. I was so invested in conversations between the characters and the way the dialogue was written. It was so incredible to read something as gripping and honest as this story, knowing the whole way through that this was the reality for those slavers involved.

As mentioned in the synopsis, the book follows Moa, who is fourteen and is told by another slave on the plantation that there is a plan for a rebellion against their overseers. Following Moa throughout the story, taking in his thoughts and personal wants as well as his family ties and commitment to the uprising is so interesting.

As fantastic as this book is in terms of the written style and the sharing of important history, it is a difficult read at times. Reaidng about the exhaustion and beatings amongst other things does hit hard but that is part of its brilliance. It needs to be hard-hitting and honest. It may seem traumatic but that emotion cannot be missed out when dealing with a historical event like this. You would be doing their story an injustice to miss something like that out.

Overall, I think this is is an incredible book. With Alex Wheatle's fantastic storytelling, he has brought an important part of history to life. Especially right now, when a book like this is more important than ever. Sharing a story like this with truth and passion at its core is what I would class as vital reading for everyone given the current times.

If you have set yourself the challenge of reading as many books by black authors as you can this month (it's Black History Month, if you didn't know), then add this one to your list!

You can buy your copy of Cane Warriors here.

No comments