Film Review: I Saw The Light


Finally! This film was meant to come out last year and they kept pushing it back and back, leaving it out of the Oscar nominations. I was gutted about this because I'd heard so many good things about Hiddleston's performance, and I would love to see him nominated for an Oscar (he'll be nominated for an Emmy for sure though, for The Night Manager).

So, it was finally released this past Friday and I went along on opening night, practically dragging Clay along with me because he is not a country music fan at all. I also took my grandparents they like his music and were interested to see how they portrayed his story.



After seeing Captain America: Civil War for the third time the day before this, it was different to see Elizabeth Olsen in such a different role, but she was brilliant. But the star of the film was obviously Tom Hiddleston, playing the legend himself. when I first heard he had this role I wasn't sure, especially when I heard he was doing all of the singing himself, but that was the most amazing surprise to hear his voice. I was in awe of it, just brilliant. I downloaded the soundtrack last month and have played it non-stop (must to Clay's disgust!)

They showed all of the aspects of his life that were so prominent, from the alcoholism, the diagnosis of spina bifida, his journey to the Opry, his wives, his children, and so on. Hiddleston showed his love of music but also the demons he faced.

The final scene, when they announce that Hank Williams has passed away (not a spoiler as it's a true story), when the other musicians on stage, plus the audience, start singing I Saw The Light was very moving. He wrote some fantastic songs and it was nice to see so many featured in this movie.


My grandparents really enjoyed it, as did I, but Clay's words were 'that was one of the worst films I've ever seen'. I think he went in knowing he wouldn't like it because he doesn't like country music and wasn't interested in Hank's story.

However, I would give this film:


I loved Hiddleston's performance in this film, I am so amazed at home much he sounds and looks like Hank! The music was brilliant, I really had to control myself so that I didn't burst into song with him, especially on Move It On Over! My only issue was that it was slow in parts, but being a biopic, telling a story like this, it's going to be like that. But, I loved it and understood that it needed that. All that's left to say is bravo, Mr Hiddleston. I await your own album!

Are you a Tom Hiddleston fan? Will you be seeing this movie?


No comments