Film Review: Zootropolis


Zootropolis (known as Zootopia outside of the UK - not sure why the name had to change, but nevermind) was not a film that I was desperate to see and I didn't plan on writing a review for this one, as I don't write reviews for every film. However, after just coming back from the cinema I knew I had to write about it!




The idea of a rabbit and a fox as main characters didn't really interest me at first, but they were perfect. Ginnifer Goodwin voices the rabbit, who is a police officer, and the fox is voiced by Jason Bateman. My favourite has to be Idris Elba, who voiced Chief Bogo. I just love his voice, but normally as Luther or Heimdall in Thor.

In terms of characters as a whole you have to look out for the scenes with the sloths. I was crying with laughter the first time I saw them and it was a clip that I had already viewed on the 'sneak preview'. They are just great! I don't want to give too much away because it will spoil it when the time comes, if you watch it, so you'll just have to see for yourself.



Overall, this film was good and it had two lovely messages that I took away with me The first was that people are all different and that is not something that we should be afraid of, even if it appears that we should be scared of all who are different. This message really hit hard for me as it is so relevant with the current situation of fear on the news and how different people are viewed as a who rather than individuals. This is a pretty deep message for children to pick up on by it's definitely one for adults who have open minds and who are accepting that each person makes their own choices, no matter who they are or where they're from. It's a lovely way for Disney to put that across, using animals to display it. It certainly will make some people think.

The other message I took from it was along the lines of dreaming big and aiming high. The soundtrack's main song, performed by Shakira, played into this moral too. There was a line right at the beginning of the film when Judy the rabbit told her parents she 'liked trying' and wanted to be a cop. Her father's response was something along the lines of 'It's great to have dreams as long as you don't pursue them' and he spoke about how he and her mother had dreams but they 'settled' instead. What a lovely message to encourage children to do what they love and dream of doing. I've spoken to children that I work with about what they want to be when they grow up and they sometimes ask what they have to do to get there. That's an amazing thing that they are already so passionate at that age, so why not encourage it. One boy once told me he wanted to be an astronaut but didn't want to go on the spaceship, so I told him that maybe he could still work at NASA (which he knew all about) and told him how many different jobs there were.

I know it sounds a little off-topic but any children's film that works for adults and has amazing messages such as these is a winner in my books.



I would give this film:



This film was so good and I would definitely watch it again. It was funny for children and adults - with references to other things that only grown ups would pick up on or know about, but not in a crude way - and those sloths are just so hilarious and adorable. The best part was the messages that you can take from it, and if you're children aren't old enough to understand it, then it would be lovely to explain it to them.



Will you be seeing this film? Have you already seen it? I'd love to hear your opinions of it.


No comments