Film Review: The Huntsman: Winter's War


This is a film that I've been wanting to see since I first saw the trailer. I didn't enjoy Snow White and the Huntsman very much, but I hoped that this would help to redeem it for me. The main reasons for me wanting to see this was the cast, as I'm a fan of Chris Hemsworth (mainly for his Marvel movies) and I love Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain.

This film opened on a Monday, which is very unusual as it normally a Friday, or sometimes a Thursday. We don't normally get the chance to go to the cinema nearer the beginning of the week and we hoped to get to see this on Monday when it was released, but plans changed at it ended up being a few days later.




The cast were just as impressive as I expected them to be, with Jessica Chastain and Emily Blunt both portraying amazing, strong women. Charlize Theron is great too but she was hardly in it, only right at the beginning and in the final scenes. Chris Hemsworth was his usual, charming self and still made a great huntsman (he was the only good part bit of the first film). I also enjoyed the roles of the dwarves, with one of my favourites, Rob Brydon, as a dwarf.

Again, you know I don't like to give too much away but what I will say is that the storyline is very predictable. Every time some tension builds up you can kind of tell either what is about to happen, or you can roughly guess it. That's not to say it makes the film bad as I sometimes like to think I know what is about to take place, but in this case it was the whole film.



I would give this film:


This rating is pretty much because I was so fond of the cast, but the basic and kind of predictable storyline left me wanting more from it. It was still a good film and I would say that I enjoyed it, but just not as much as I would have liked.



What did you think of this film? Let me know in the comments, through Instagram, or Twitter.


No comments