Film Review: Captain America: Civil War


It's been a year since Avengers: Age of Ultron was released, and finally Civil War is here. Everyone I know is aware of how much I love Marvel and has heard about how excited I am for this film. With this film, it's time to choose a side: Team Captain America or Team Iron Man. I've been Team Cap from the beginning and my fiance, Clay, has always been Team Iron Man, so there's a divide. Clay and I are big Marvel fans and we went to the opening night showing, wearing these sweatshirts:

A photo posted by Janay Brazier (@janaybrazier) on

I want to start by saying that there is no spoilers in this review, as I have witnessed conversations on Twitter and Instagram about people accidentally reading spoilers or seeing something without warning. So you can read on feeling safe in the knowledge that I'm not here to tell you what happens, just like with all of the reviews I write.


Ever since Captain America: The Winter Soldier came out, I've been wanting to find out what happened with Bucky. Bucky Barnes (The Winter Soldier) is the main reason I'm on Team Cap, because I'd be defending him too. I could waffle on for ages about how it wasn't his fault and he didn't know what he was doing, etc, but I won't. I'm also a huge fan of Falcon (Sam Wilson), so I was over the moon to see them interacting in this film. So, let's have a look at the film and what I thought of it...



This film had everything: background stories, the aftermath of the events from Avengers: Age of Ultron, real emotion, love, family, action, humour, and most importantly... Stan Lee's signature cameo.

I won't give away the events of the movie but it moves from place to place to deal with different situations before bringing it together. It opens on an action scene, with many other amazing moments spread across the two-and-a-half hours.


Every true Marvel fan stays to the end of the credits. It drives me crazy when I see people leaving the second the film finishes. So there are two post-credit scenes, one that links directly on to the end of the events of Civil War, giving a glimpse of the setting for a future film, and the other that leads on to another film. I love waiting for these scenes, although the first of the two broke me!



I adore Sebastian Stan's portrayal of Bucky. He is by far my favourite character. I love how we see him develop in this film. He's not just a strong assassin, he is remembering and he wishes he could forget what he's done. There wasn't a single moment where I could turn away from this man, even when some ghastly events came to light. He's just too... amazing. I completely understand Cap's reasons for protecting him, I'd start a Civil War over him too! But seriously, Sebastian Stan's acting in this film was by far my favourite, and he stood out the most to me.

Captain America/Steve Rogers is just trying to do the right thing. I've heard so many people say you swap sides a couple of times during the film, but honestly there were only a couple of times that I agreed with Team Iron Man, but not enough to make me change sides.

Black Panther was incredible. He's not a fan of Bucky (as we've seen from the trailers, he's always after him - it's made clear in the film obviously, but yet again it's not what it seems). I can't wait to see more from him in the future. He's not really on a side in this, he just constantly follows where Bucky goes.

Ant-Man was great, with some funny lines throughout his time on screen. He's also very prominent in the airport scene! Scarlet Witch is one of my favourites, I don't think she really knows the true extent of her powers and how to manage them at times, but she's a good person. Hawkeye is not in it until later on, but he's great when he is on screen. I was never a Hawkeye fan during Thor and Avengers Assemble but he's certainly grown on me.

The funniest moments for me where those shared between Bucky and Falcon. There's a couple in particular - look out for the scene of the two of them in the car and inside the airport terminal!

It was be a Captain America movie, but we still have Team Iron Man. Tony Stark/Iron Man is finally trying to right some of his wrongs (creating weapons of mass destruction, building Ultron, etc.) by getting them to operate under the instruction of the UN. With him, are Black Widow, who I would say sort of hangs in the middle because she still wants to protect Steve and just keep the team together, and War Machine/Rhodey who has been by Iron Man's side since the first film. There's also Vision, who - like Scarlet Witch - doesn't really know the true strength of his powers, and Spiderman, who Tony recruits.

Finally, Zemo - our new villain - is on a one-man revenge mission and kind of kicks this all off, so keep an eye on him.



I would (obviously) give this movie:



It was pretty clear that I was going to give this film five stars. The actors are amazing in their roles as their characters, we got to see old favourites develop and become more involved and we got to meet new ones too. I now cannot wait to see the Black Panther movie, when that is eventually done, and there is so much more to look forward to, like Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War (parts 1 and 2).

I'm actually off to see this again tomorrow, and I'm sure they won't be my only times seeing it either.

Marvel, I applaud you, I love you.



P.S. I'm not going to ask you if you're going to go and see this film, instead I'm going to tell you to go and see it. If you only see one film this month - or even this year - I would make it this.


No comments