Film Review: The Man From U.N.C.L.E.


This movie review is a little bit late as I saw it on opening night two weeks ago today (14 August) and I actually then went to see it again this past Tuesday. To be honest that should be enough to tell you I loved this film! But I'll go into a bit more detail anyway, otherwise this becomes a very short and very pointless blog post and not really a review.


First, I am a Guy Ritchie fan, with his Sherlock Holmes films being amongst my all-time favourite movies, and as soon as I saw this trailer (you can watch it here if you haven't seen it) I knew I had to see it. I was also incapable of waiting because, as I said, I went to opening night.


I love a good action movie, and for me this certainly didn't disappoint. I've read some reviews online of this and it sounds like quite a few people were left wanting, with some describing it as 'boring' and 'pointless'. I would like to tell you that I saw it as the total opposite.


For me, what truly made this film brilliant was the cast. Henry Cavill, probably best known for playing the most recent Superman in Man of Steel, and Armie Hammer, who played the title role in The Lone Ranger alongside Johnny Depp, were in a word: amazing.


Armie Hammer's Russian accent was out of this world, and played my favourite character in the movie.


Henry Cavill was a brilliant choice for American soldier - turned thief - turned spy Napoleon Solo. I heard that originally it was supposed to be Tom Cruise in the role, but he had to drop out due to other commitments. Personally I am thrilled that he dropped out because I can't imagine anyone else playing Solo as well as Cavill did.


There was also a couple of great female parts, both strong women, played by Alicia Vikander and Elizabeth Debicki. Also starring is Hugh Grant, who I think is brilliant at pretty much every role he does.


Again, it's that thing of me not wanting to give too much away, yet I really want to rave about this film and tell you all about it. So the best thing for you to do is just to go and see it for yourself! If you like spy movies or action movies then I think you'll enjoy it.


So my rating for this film is:


Have you seen this movie yet? If yes, what did you think of it? Do you agree with my scoring? Let me know through Twitter, Instagram, or in the comment section below.

No comments