My First Year as a Qualified Teacher


We're at the end of August, about to go into September. It's only now that I have sat back and fully realised that I have completed my first year as a qualified teacher! It was an absolutely incredible year, filled with many highs and a few lower points (but all of the good moments definitely outweigh any of the bad).

Ahead of starting at a new school, in a new year group, I thought I would take the time to share a few of the best moments and things I have loved from this past year, whether this is just for me to feel proud of the job I'm doing or to share with other teachers or aspiring teachers out there.

Here are ten standout moments and learning points for me from the last year:


I am the "crazy hamster lady"
First of all, I'll start by saying I'm happy to be known by this title! My Year 3 class fell in love with my hamster, Pippin, and would often ask for updates, photos and videos each morning. They were the sweetest when it came to my little fluffball and lost their minds when I said I'd bring her into school for a short while one day in June when Cameron had a non-pupil day. They loved her even more in person and one child said to me after the visit, "I understand why you're a crazy hamster lady know because she's adorable!" Talking about pets became a great bonding exercise in my classroom and we even had a little 'Wall of Pets' display to show off our cute animals. It was one of the best relationship-building tools. 

I like to be organised
If you know me, this isn't surprising. However, some people said that my urge to be so organised with planning ahead, prepping lessons, printing out my resources for the following week each Friday afternoon wouldn't last all year. It did and I plan to keep it that way. I used to print all of the week's resources and put them into A3 zip wallets marked with the days of the week. Now that I'm about to start in a new school with a permanent position (I was on maternity cover last year), I will probably get a set of drawers to use instead. See, I'm just becoming more organised! It might take half an hour to print it and get it organised but it saves me the daily job.

I created an amazing reading culture
This is probably the thing I am proudest of this year. My class have absolutely loved reading with me this year. From the texts we read as part of our English lessons to the books we read for pleasure as a class. They loved a bit of quiet, independent reading too and talking about what they'd been reading. My favourite memories were also some of their favourites too (as so many put in their cards at the end of the year), which was our reading for pleasure blanket reading time. Reading Planet Omar, Mr Gum and so many more whilst cuddled up under blankets with their friends was the most beautiful thing. My overall favourite reading memory is reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane outside on the grass in the summer and then reading the final chapter and watching so many of them gasp - and even a couple of them cry - when they realised what had happened. That's a core memory right there!

I can look after my own wellbeing
I am known for being a bit of a workaholic. I like to immerse myself in my work and get as much done as I can, keeping ahead of where I need to be. A lot of this was because of personal reasons a few years ago when I used it as a distraction from things going on in life and threw myself into my teacher training. I also enjoy what I do so I don't see it as a chore or an undesirable task. However, for my first year of teaching I made myself a little list of rules that I stuck to and will continue with this year. My main one was 'no work on a Sunday' to make sure I had a full day with no school work. 'Don't take books home to mark' was one my first ECT mentor gave me before she left on maternity leave and I never have done this. Finally, 'no work talk at the dinner table' is one we are working on in our house as Cameron is also a teacher, so it's nice to set a bit of a boundary so we can come out of "work mode".

It was not always easy
I've spoken very positively about my experiences so far and I'd say 99% of the time, that has been my experience. However, I'd be lying if I said there weren't also some challenging and low moments in the last year. Everyone has something they need to work on and not everyone will agree, but that's part of the job. We, as teachers, are always learning and growing. We just need to find the best people around you to ask for advice and support and know you have people to talk to. The first year is tough but go easy on yourself. It's not always going to go to plan or work out the way you would like. Speaking to my amazing ECT mentors this year has made things a lot easier and having a good relationship with particular members of SLT to go to when I have queries or need to vent has been amazing.

I had a great relationship with the children
A top tip that was shared with me that I would definitely share with every other ECT is to make sure you take the time to get to know your children in that first week and let them get to know you too. I worked on this with my first class, making them as comfortable as possible to share ideas, ask questions and feel valued. From encouraging them to have a go to asking them how their gymnastics session was at the weekend, it all helps. A big phrase for my class last year was, "mistakes are proof you're trying." This helped some of them to try tricker challenges without the worry of being wrong. I'm also lucky enough to be taking my Year 6 class on a 5-day residential trip in September, which is a great bonding and relationship-building opportunity.

I had the best first class ever
I truly believe that I had the greatest class for my first ever class as a qualified teacher. I honestly cannot think of a single thing I would change about that class. They were all incredible to work with, all had their own passions and interests and all tried their best and wanted to do well. They would ask how I was, would greet each other so kindly each morning and would leave the classroom at midday saying, "Have a lovely lunch, Miss Brazier." They taught me so much about myself too. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better class with more incredible children for my first class. I will remember them forever.

I can dance if I have to
I am not a performer. I don't sing, I don't dance and drama used to frighten me in school if the audience was bigger than my form group. However, I have proved to myself that I can do these things when Performing Arts Day happened at my school in July. Each year group gets together to learn and perform a song, a dance and a poem. The poem was pretty straight forward and short, the song we chose was one they'd heard in assembly before... but the dance was going to be entirely new. I don't know why but I turned around to my partner teacher and said, "I don't mind choreographing the dance." This was without any ideas about what I might do. I don't know why, I just said it! Yet it all came together as I decided on a song to dance to and planned the steps in my kitchen while I was waiting for the oven to heat up. This is an important memory for me because I did something I'd never done, it turned out really well and we were chosen to close the event as well!

I am still learning
I have already mentioned that, even as teachers, we are still always learning. Whether that is extra tips to go with something you already know and do or learning something new entirely, we grow our own knowledge as we progress through this career. The reason I am mentioning this is because of other ECTs I have come across rather than myself. I love learning and am always open to new ideas as it'll only make me better. However, I have spoken to/heard from others that some ECTs like to think they already have it sussed and will only want to do things the way they were taught to do it on their training. Every school is different, every class is different and every child is different. We need to be ready to learn and take on new strategies to both better ourselves as practitioners and the children as learners. No one knows everything and we will work best if we are open to new ideas.

I have made a difference
A big one is to remember to take a step back, especially on the days where things haven't gone to plan or you're feeling down, and remember what a difference you are making overall. Every day is a small step and those steps might not always feel like they are moving forward, but you are making progress all the time. I had low days and just thinking back on those 'lightbulb moments' or the children's laughter at something silly I've said puts me back on track. It was also evident that I had made a difference at the end of the school year, when it came to me leaving to go to a different school. The kind words from many parents, children and staff will stay with me forever. That's another thing I loved this year, having such supportive, friendly and caring parents who I would talk to each day. They made my first year experience so much better.


So, there you have it: ten moments and learning points from the past year. I truly do love my job and cannot wait to continue learning and growing next year, teaching Year 6 in a new school.

Do you have any tips or words of advice to share? If you're a teacher or work in a classroom, what's your favourite thing about the job or a favourite memory you have?

No comments