Book Review: Stick Boy by Paul Coomey


I'm back with another book review for you and today I'm talking about Stick Boy by Paul Coomey.

Now, this isn't my usual choice of book but when I was offered the chance to read it early and review it, I decided to give it a go. It looked fun and like a good book that I could share with the children at school if they wanted to read something a little different for a change.

Although I was sent this book by Little Tiger, I want to say that the following thoughts and opinions are all my own and I am in no way influenced by the fact that I was sent a copy of this book.

Now, onto the review...

Here is the synopsis for Stick Boy:

It's tough fitting in when you're born to stick out!

From the moment Stick Boy and his family move to Little Town, there is way more to worry about than being the new kid. There's a mysterious plot involving Baron Ben's new Mega Mall, pop star Jonny Vidwire and the highly suspicious HomeBots that are infiltrating every home in town. Can Stick Boy and his friends uncover the evil plan behind it all before it's too late?

Paul Coomey has created a brilliant book for children here, which will definitely be a hit with those who love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Tom Gates books. It has that fun comic book/graphic novel feel but still gives that usual novel feel with longer passages of text.

These passages are broken up with some truly incredible illustrations, whether it's full pages in a comic strip format, fun page borders or pictures of characters dotted in within the story. The illustrations are definitely what brings this book to life and Paul Coomey certainly has an incredible talent here.

The writing is brilliant, the artwork is captivating but the character of Stick is what really captured me. Despite being a stick boy, he is so relatable in terms of personalities and dreams. Stick just wants to fit in, have some friends and get through life without any trouble. There are times when he makes hard choices that he thinks are for the best but turn out to cause more problems for himself and others. I think children reading this book will be able to see themselves in Stick, thinking about their own experiences, but also just seeing the fun in the character.

Overall, I liked this book a lot. I'm already planning on taking it into school as I know several children in my class who would like to read this based on what they've read in the past. There is also one child in my class who has written his own book recently that features a stick-like character, so I know they will definitely love it!

If you want to buy Stick Boy, which is being released in January, click here.

1 comment