My Top Five: Book Party Themes


This blog post is kind of inspired by the 'Top 5 Wednesday' group in the BookTube/Book Blogger community. It's the top five books as an event theme. Whatever kind of party, it's about which books would work well as a theme.

I saw a few people doing this one on May 10th and I thought of so many ideas of my own straight after watching some of them. So, even though this post was for last week in the Book community, I decided to do it this week.

Here are my top five book event themes (in no particular order):


Harry Potter
This feels like an obvious one for me because of how simple yet effective it could be. Everyone could do the Pottermore quiz to be sorted into their houses and then wear that colour (school uniform is optional!) The decorations would be fun to do, like the floating candles in the great hall, and the food and drink could be so good, like butterbeer, fizzy sweets, chocolate, pumpkin pasties or pies... just a big feast really.

I actually organised a small Harry Potter themed party last year with a few colleagues for a teacher at our school at the end of the year and it was great (if I do say so myself!) We had the floating candles (which are still up in her classroom as decorations in the book corner), we split the class into the four houses and had a top table for myself and a few other adults to play professors, her invitation back to the classroom was a ticket to platform 9 3/4 and we played the film soundtrack in the background the whole time. It was so much fun and I'd love to do it on a bigger scale at some point.



The Great Gatsby
I've always wanted to go to a Gatsby party. I'd love to get all dolled up, wear a beautiful 1920s flapper dress and have a dance to some good music with a glass of champagne. I think this party idea is brilliant every time I watch Midnight In Paris too.

The music and the drinks and the outfits would just be amazing and I think it would be quite an easy theme to create for any kind of party.


The Hunger Games
Through it sounds like everyone might be trying to kill each other, what a great way to do some team building and get active with your friends? Split into twos like they do in the Hunger Games (a boy and a girl if there's enough to go around - a good party for couples, maybe?) and do activities to earn points and crown a winner.

If you want a party theme that acts more like a competition and gets everyone moving, then this could work for you. You don't have to be trapping people or firing arrows to have a gathering with this theme.


Sherlock Holmes
A murder mystery party anyone? Whether it's themed as the old-style Sherlock Holmes or as the newer, more modern Sherlock, this would totally work as a party theme. Some serious planning would be needed for this party to work, with people acting as detectives to solve the murder. 

Or if you don't fancy the murder mystery idea, why not make it about how clever Sherlock is and have a quiz or a game of Trivial Pursuit? Show that you're just as smart as Sherlock, even if you're not solving a disastrous problem for the police. 


A Court of Thorns and Roses
It is now my dream to throw a proper party with an ACOTAR series theme. Imagine decorating in the style of the Night Court during Starfall, with lots of sparkling fairy lights and glitter. If I was the hostess I'd definitely be looking out for an amazing dress like Feyre's stunning gown.

When the third book, ACOWAR, was released at the start of the month, I had a mini celebration for the book release, which mainly involved drinking tea and reading the book, but I did have a go at making these Night Court sugar cookies. They were inspired by a sugar cookie recipe that was posted by Bloomsbury but I altered it to look more like something from the book, like a night sky. You can see the recipe here and the photo of them below.



(Also, the picture above is amazing artwork by Charlie Bowater, who you can find here)

Any other party ideas you think would work? Game of Thrones? Beauty and the Beast? Feel free to share ideas in the comments below.

No comments