Film Review: Pirate of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge


I have a feeling this is going to be quite a short review. It's not that I don't have lots to say about it because I could probably talk about it for hours. I've always loved the Pirates of the Caribbean films, especially the first three. I kind of count those as a trilogy in my head and think of films four and five as completely separate, whether they kind of continue on from them of not.

However, I went into the cinema expecting to be wowed and come out of this movie wanting to go straight back in. Unfortunately, I was wrong...



I came home and wanted to watch the first three films again just to try and redeem my movie experience. I couldn't understand how I could not enjoy this new film as much as the others. Fair enough, I never expected it to be as good as those first three films, even when Orlando Bloom and Kiera Knightley made appearances.

I liked the two new, young cast members, they did a grand job of stepping into such a well-know, high-earning franchise. I liked the return of old favourites, especially Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa. I even liked some of the jokes that were used because they were able to be appreciated by adults watching the film, possibly those who - like me - grew up with these films and can continue to enjoy them as adults.

However, I didn't enjoy the role Jack Sparrow played in it. I felt that he was treated like an extra character rather than the star of the show. That's not to say others shouldn't be able to step forward and take a leading role, because they can, but he was not used to the best of his abilities and as much as he could have been. The storyline was also not as solid as previous films and it felt like it went on a lot longer than it actually did.


I'm giving this film:


It took me ages to decide this, between three or four stars, but I decided that I'd give it three based on the fact that I love the series too much to rank this one that highly. The soundtrack just makes me so happy and it was great to see the return of so many amazing characters, like Will Turner and Elizabeth Swan, but this film just was not as good as previous ones.

I'd love to know what you think of this latest installment.

No comments