Film Review: The Lost City of Z


Another cinema trip this Friday and this time we went to see The Lost City of Z. I remember hearing about this film when it was first announced, because I'd heard Benedict Cumberbatch was meant to be starring in it originally, but he was replaced by Charlie Hunnam. I don't know if this was due to scheduling conflicts but the main point is that things changed.

The cast list was actually a really good one, with Sienna Miller, Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson. I was really impressed with everyone's on-screen performance.


 


A special mention about the cinematography in this movie. The final look of the jungle and the river was beautiful. I really felt the wonder and amazement that the explorers would have seen, despite being absolutely terrified of the disease, animals and having to constantly be on the lookout for danger.

This film came from a book that was written based on diaries that were found, detailing the explorer's adventures in the jungle in search of the city. If you've read the book or know anything about him then you'll know how it ends (if you haven't, don't worry I'm not going to spoil it for you) but it was so well done.

I will say, the film felt like it went on forever! Sitting in that cinema screen, I was cold and uncomfortable and it just felt so much longer than it actually was. The story follows them over a long period of time so it shows each stage, building up to their final trek in the jungle, but it just felt to me that it took so long to move forward. I was grateful for the war scenes in the middle of the film as it really helped to break up the jungle scenes.


I gave this movie:



I really enjoyed this film. It had a strong cast - especially Tom Holland and Charlie Hunnam, any of their scenes together were great even though they are towards the end of the film - and the cinematography was stunning. The only issue I had was that it felt really long but, again, I know that it was spanning over a period of time so it needed to be played out like that. Overall, it was a very good film.



If you've seen this movie, let me know what your thoughts are. Also, have you read the book?


No comments