Film Review: Logan


Hi everyone! First of all I have to apologise for being M.I.A this past week. I've been so busy with work, I was vlogging last weekend and we also had a funeral to attend midweek. I've had to neglect my blog a little in order to get those important things done but now I'm back!

First of all, I've actually been to the cinema between watching Fifty Shades Darker and Logan, but it was to see the Broadway production of Newsies, which was shown in cinemas around the world last month. I've chosen not to review that as a film because it was a Broadway show rather than a movie, but it will be featuring in my monthly favourites - which will go live in the next few days - so, if you want to find out more about it you can keep an eye out for that.

Now, on with this film review...


Again, if you know anything about me and my love of movies then you will know that I'm a huge Marvel fan. Mainly for the MCU films by Marvel Studios but I like the X-Men franchise as well... and a few of the past Spider-Man films (not all of them).

Just by being a Marvel film automatically makes me think that I'm going to adore it and end up giving it a high rating, so I went into the cinema with high hopes for Logan. I love Hugh Jackman, he has done a fantastic job at portraying the legendary Wolverine over the years, and with this set to be his last film I knew they had to do the character justice.


I really wish I didn't have to write the words I'm about to type but I can't sit here and lie to you. If you read my reviews you'll know that I don't like to give any spoilers away and I want to stress that I won't be spoiling anything in this review either. So, here it goes... It's honestly so hard to type this but... I didn't like it.

I feel like I've failed as a Marvel fan and as a Wolverine fan by saying this, but then I suppose being such a big fan of these and having be say it gives it more meaning. I won't say I hated it, but I really did not enjoy this movie experience.



First of all, it is ridiculously violence to the point where it's excessive. As someone who became a fan of X-Men when they were younger and have grown up with the franchise, to know that this is Hugh Jackman's last Wolverine movie is a huge deal. Along with the violence there is a lot of swearing. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any violent scenes and no swearing but it was all too much, from the very first scene right through to the last. I'm sure someone will comment saying that this is to be expected and to get over it, but I can't get past it.

Also, there are some scenes within this movie that drastically affect main characters that have been a part of these movies from day one and I think with a film that feels as final as this they need to do them justice and I don't feel that was done.

I feel terrible to be writing all of these but I don't want to pretend I loved it. You guys read my film reviews to get a true opinion and that is what I will give you. I'm lucky enough to not have to spend loads of money on every trip I take to the cinema, but I know that for some people it's an expensive day or evening out and I don't want to say it's great and have you waste your money. I also don't want to say the violent scenes were fine and then you let your children see it. Film certification is one of my biggest issues with cinema today and for me this should have been an 18.

I gave this film:


I'm honestly heartbroken to be giving this film such an average rating. It would have been two stars but I have to bump it up purely for the performances by the incredible Hugh Jackman and the brilliant Patrick Stewart. Stephen Merchant was also a great addition to this cast.

My overall summary would be that it was excessively violent yet is slow to get started, with a great returning cast and a few scenes that will stay with you long after you leave the cinema. Without spoilers, I felt I needed to sit through the credits just to compose myself and my thoughts afterwards.

Fingers crossed we see more from Wolverine in the future, I'd definitely like to see Hugh Jackman return in something stronger than this movie, even if it's just as a cameo. If not, I'd say thank you to Hugh Jackman for being one of the most iconic and incredible comic book characters ever to be portrayed on screen.

I'd love to know your thoughts on this film, let me know if you liked it or loved it. I'd love to hear some positive reviews of this movie because although it wasn't for me (or my husband, I'm just going to put it out there that he pretty much said the same as me) it might have been amazing for others and I hope that is the case.


No comments