Film Review: Beauty and the Beast


It's finally here! After that long wait from when they first announced that this film was in pre-production, it is now in cinemas. Obviously, I went along on opening night (did you expect anything less from me?) and when I got back last night I quickly wrote down everything so that I could try and form a review for you today. I wanted to start writing it last night but I don't think any of it would have truly made sense and it would have just been a big jumble. So now I'm going to give it my best go.

Let's start with the casting...

 


I've always been a fan of Emma Watson, as a person and as Hermione, so I was excited to hear she had been cast as Belle but still a little unsure at the same time because we'd never heard her sing. After seeing the movie, I really loved her as Belle and think she was a perfect choice. Belle is one of the most iconic Disney characters and I think Emma did her justice.

I have to say though, my favourite characters were Gaston, played by Luke Evans, and Ian McKellen's Cogsworth. I knew from the very beginning that Luke Evans was the best choice for Gaston and he did not disappoint. There is honestly no one better for that role, in my eyes. Then there's Cogsworth who was one of my favourites from the original animated film, but I think I love him even more in this movie. I just adore Ian McKellen. His scenes as a clock are brilliant, but when he's human he is truly hilarious.

Dan Stevens was the Prince/the Beast and I will admit I didn't know that much about him. When I first saw the photographs of the Beast I was unsure as he didn't look how I pictured him, but after seeing him in action I am so happy with how they've made him look. 

The last character I wanted to talk about in detail is Lumiere. I had in my head that Tom Hiddleston would be perfect for this role because I know he can speak French and that he's great at accents, so when they announced Ewan McGregor I was - to be completely honest - horrified. I loved him in Moulin Rouge but I couldn't picture it working in this film. Then the trailer was released and all that did was confirm my worries that I wouldn't like him as Lumiere. I didn't like the voice, it just didn't work and since that day I'd been dreading the 'Be Our Guest' scene because it's such an iconic scene. Now, after watching it, I think I'd built it up so much in my head that it was never going to be as bad as I'd imagined. He was good, but not great.

The rest of the supporting cast, including Kevin Kline, Josh Gad, Stanley Tucci and so on, were brilliant. Collectively, it all worked.


The music was stunning. Alan Menken did a fantastic job with this movie's score. I have had it on repeat since it was released yesterday morning. Again, the star for me was Luke Evans' Gaston. His singing was spot on and although I enjoyed the other singers, he was my favourite. Although, special mention to Audra McDonald, who has the most incredible voice playing Madame Garderobe.

I'm also in love with the new songs that were added into the film, especially 'Evermore', which is sung by Dan Stevens as the Beast. There's also a beautiful version of this song on the album by Josh Groban. Some people have been saying the didn't like the new additions and that it should have been left to the songs from the original movie, but I think they helped to make it stand out as it's own film rather than just being a copy.


So many scenes were done exactly as they were in the original film, which I loved. Some of them are so iconic that they shouldn't be changed, such as the ballroom scene and the wolf attack. I can't pinpoint a favourite scene in particular, but I will say that there were a few times that I actually forgot I was in a cinema because I was so invested in the film and I got completely lost in it.

Also, in true Janay style, I cried on a number of occasions. I cried when it first started and the music kicked in, after the first musical number ('Belle'), during the ballroom scene, during the song 'Evermore', on and off throughout the final scene with the fight and the wedding scene and then when the whole movie had finished. Again, did you really expect anything less? I cry at everything!


If it isn't already obvious, I gave this film:


It was beautifully done, overall the casting was brilliant, the soundtrack is a firm favourite with me and I could have watched it again straight after it finished. I cannot recommend it enough, but I'm sure you don't need me to tell you to go and see it. It's advertised everywhere. However, if you need the push to see it then I really do suggest you get yourself down to a cinema as soon as you can. I know that my local Cineworld has been pre-booking for a while and it's pretty busy right now as it's opening weekend, but it really is worth seeing.

Now, if you'll excuse me, in true Belle style I'm off to the library now (I really am!)

1 comment