My Top Ten: Films of 2016


This year I have been to the cinema 59 times to see 48 different films and I have reviewed 43 of them. So, here are my top ten movies out of those 48...


10. Finding Dory (*****)
After waiting more than ten years to see more from Nemo and Dory, Finding Dory finally arrived in cinemas. Baby Dory was the highlight of the movie but I loved the whole thing. Becky was also a favourite. It was just a fun, animated film with a lovely message about family. See my review here.



9. The Magnificent Seven (*****)
I'm not normally a massive fan of westerns or cowboy films, but I was hooked on this one from the moment it started. It was action-packed and it had funny moments too. I know it's a remake so I'm tempted to watch the old one now. See my review here.



8. Bridget Jones's Baby (*****)
If you're a fan of the other Bridget Jones movies then you will have probably seen this third installment. For me, this was the funniest one of all. It had me laughing so hard that it made me cry and made my stomach hurt. I can't remember a time I laughed so much at a film. See my review here.


7. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (*****)
I'm a big fan of Harry Potter and so this film was very exciting for me. It didn't disappoint and it was just as magical as the other Harry Potter films. It was cool to hear so many references to them too, such as Dumbledore, Hogwarts, Lestrange and some spells too. See my review here.


6. Allied (*****)
This film had me hooked from the moment it started. The storyline was brilliant and I love how I constantly changed my mind as to whether I thought his wife was a spy or not, it was so tense. Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard were phenomenal in their roles. See my review here.


5. Passengers (*****)
I loved Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence, so I was excited to see them in a movie together. I like space films and this is definitely up there with my top five now. It was one of those films that constantly had me on the edge of my seat and the ending was perfect. See my review here.


4. Me Before You (*****)
The book was beautiful, so I couldn't wait to see whether the movie lived up to the hype. For me, the casting was perfect and the whole film had me either smiling or crying. It's sad but it was exactly how I pictured it when I read the book. If you haven't read the book, you need to. See my review here.


3. The Light Between Oceans (*****)
This is another film based on a book, but strangely for me me I hadn't read the book first. That hasn't happened before! But I'm now determined to read the book this year as the film was one of the most incredible things I've ever watched. Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander were perfect and the story really tugs at your heart. See my review here.


2. Doctor Strange (*****)
Surprise, surprise, there's a Marvel film in my top ten! Putting one of my favourite actors, Benedict Cumberbatch, in my favourite movie franchise was always going to be a winner. It was different for a Marvel film but it was just as amazing. I can't wait to see what is next for Doctor Strange (especially after that scene in the credits!) See my review here.


1. Captain America: Civil War (*****)
OK, so there's two Marvel films in my top ten, but are you really that surprised?! I didn't think so. Obviously this was my favourite film of the year, why else would I have seen it eight times! Marvel make the best superhero movies and this one was by far my favourite. We got to see more of Bucky Barnes/The Winter Soldier, who is my favourite, and we were introduced to a new Spider-Man. It was just the best movie for me in 2016. See my review here.

Here are the other films I reviewed this year that didn't make the top ten (in alphabetical order):

There were also the following films that I didn't review:
  • Gods of Egypt *** (because apparently I forgot to review it! I've just spend ages looking for the link to the review and I can't find it, so I've come to the conclusion that I forgot to do it. Oops!)
  • Grimsby * (because I couldn't stand it! Honestly, I didn't know where to look most of the time and I have never been so uncomfortable in a cinema screen - I know this has also been renamed since being released on DVD.)
  • Inferno **** (because - in all honesty - I thought I'd done it but I hadn't, so I forgot! If you liked The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons then you'd like this addition.)
  • Mum's List **** (because I was too busy with other posts and various other things to write this review. It was lovely, but very sad.)
  • The Peanuts Movie * (because I was bored, and I only saw this because we took the children from school as a treat.)

What were your favourite films of 2016?

No comments