Film Review: La La Land


With all of the hype surrounding this film, you could have bet your bottom dollar that I was going to get into a cinema screen with this ASAP. Opening weekend for films with a buzz such as this is always busy on the opening weekend, but that wasn't going to stop me.

I dragged Clay along, who didn't realise what it was until we got there (honestly, as the first scene started he asked 'Is this a musical? I didn't know it was all singing and dancing'), but I promise I showed him the trailers and told him what it was.

Nevermind him, let's get on with the review...




So, we've just had the Golden Globes where La La Land did extremely well and that just added to the excitement of seeing it. Plus, I'm a huge fan of both Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. It's a completely different kind of film, but I loved them both together in Crazy Stupid Love, so I knew I'd like the pair again in this before I'd even seen them in it. They just work so well together on screen.

They were perfection in their roles as Sebastian, a man more passionate about jazz than life itself, and Mia, an aspiring actress who serves coffee on the Warner Bros film lot between auditions. I love that the whole film was purely the two of them and no one else. I could have easily watched the whole thing again, just to see more of them!

The shots used in this film were perfectly classic, but with a modern take. I just loved how it made me think of old-school musicals, such as An American In Paris, and it will definitely be joining that collection of films when it's released on DVD later in the year. I had a pile of films reserved for Sunday mornings/rainy days/days when I'm ill, and this will be added the moment the DVD is in stores.



The storyline was brilliant, the ending was a bit bittersweet, but I could deal with it because the rest of the film was - I'm going to use that word again - perfect.

I'd listened to the soundtrack a few times before seeing the film and I fell in love with it instantly, but I didn't want to overplay it and spoil the effect it has when watching it on the big screen, so I cut myself off (but now I've seen it, so it's currently being played as I write this!)

So, do I even need to tell you what I'm rating this film? It's obviously:



Perfect. It's the first word that comes to mind when describing this film: A brilliant duo in Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone, a beautiful soundtrack and it's visually stunning.

I'll definitely be supporting this one at the Oscars in February!

I've only seen two films this year and I've adored them both. I have a feeling it's going to be another great year for movies!


No comments