Film Review: Hacksaw Ridge


There has been a lot of buzz around this film and although the trailer looked amazing, it wasn't one that I was desperate to see. I knew that I wanted to see it at some point, but I wasn't in any rush. I love films that are based on a true story and the fact that it was an extremely heroic true story was incredibly appealing.

I will say in advance, this is a tough film to watch in some parts, but if you can handle the death, gore and tension of such a film then you need to see this one.


 


This movie follows Desmond Doss, played by Andrew Garfield, as he signs up to help win the war, but when he gets to the rifle training he announces that he will never hold a gun and wants to be a medic on the front line. His refusal to kill the enemy is the basis of this film's amazing story, as Doss is imprisoned for his beliefs, but he is eventually freed and given the go-ahead to march into battle at Hacksaw Ridge with no weapon.

This film is extremely hard to watch at times. There were numerous moments that made me jump, I gripped so hard on Clay's hand at times that he probably lost all feeling and I cried a great deal. Anyone who knows me well will know that I cry pretty easily - OK, very easily - but this film had me uncontrollably sobbing by the end of it.

I've only ever watched Andrew Garfield knowingly in The Amazing Spider-Man films, so it was great to see him in something so very different. It was also good to see Vince Vaughn in such a different role too, although he was the main source of any humour that came through this story.



I gave this movie:



I jumped out of my skin, I winced at the injuries, I held my breath, I tensed my whole body, I cried and I even laughed a few times (don't worry, the moments I laughed at where meant to be funny, but it's not done in bad taste!) I came out of the cinema feeling physically and mentally drained.

This film was definitely one the best war films I have ever seen, if not the best! I'm not an avid watcher of war films but from the ones I've seen this is up there with the greats.

This film film made my head and my heart hurt. It deserves every award nomination it gets, and I hope it takes some awards home at the Oscars next month. 

So, every film I've seen so far in 2017 has been given five stars! I have high hopes that it's going to be a great year for cinema.



No comments