Film Review: Passengers


So, I realise that I'm incredibly behind on films and reviews! It was so busy during December, with the run-up to Christmas, the end of term at school and going away on our honeymoon to New York. It all just got a bit too much and when we did have a spare couple of hours for a film, we chose to watch one at home so that we could get some other bits done at the same time.

It was such a shame that we missed the opening night for Rogue One and then we missed the first night of Passengers because we were flying to New York the very next day.

Now that we're back in England we've scheduled in a few dates for films, trying to get through them as quickly as possible before new ones come out at the start of 2017 (I will be doing a wrap-up post of my top ten films of 2016 very soon, followed by a post telling you about the films that I'm excited to see next year!)

But right now we're talking about Passengers...

I'm a huge fan of Chris Pratt (not just because of Marvel) and Jennifer Lawrence is amazing, so I knew this was going to be a good one just by having the two of them together.



The two of them were just as brilliant as I expected them to be, showing just how incredible they are. They had me hooked into the story, considering there were only four people in the film. It is something that could have easily fallen flat with a different actor and actress, but they were - in a word - perfect.

The storyline was spot on and so different to what I was originally thinking it would be. I obviously won't spoil the plot on here, but I took the film as being something along the lines of this: They both get woken up from their long sleep on the journey to another planet and that the people back on earth meant for them to both be woken up because they were being tested (or something along those lines). Well that isn't the story.

The real storyline is much more realistic, driven by human nature and our wants and needs, and it contains some scenes that made me panic, some that made me smile and laugh and others that almost had me in tears. It was definitely a rollercoaster of emotions!


I gave this film:


It was pure sci-fi brilliance. I love a good space movie (except for Gravity - I really didn't get on with that one). I think that if you liked The Martian last year then you will like this, as it contains a few threads of similarity, such as the notes of humour,the  feeling of being stranded and alone... and a couple of other things that I won't say through fear of spoiling parts of it for you.

If you haven't seen this yet and you like the idea of a film set in space, then you need to get yourself to a cinema to see this. 


No comments