Film Review: Collateral Beauty


I have wanted to see this film since I first watched the trailer. Anything that looks sad and has Will Smith in it is usually a winner.

For a start, along with Will Smith, the cast is brilliant. I love Helen Mirren and Kate Winslet, but the whole cast were truly perfect. It's nice to see a film with real people in real-life situations that connect and touch people.

I loved the setting of New York City at Christmastime. It was such a happy place, but with such a sad storyline. The basic story - without giving it all away - is that Will Smith's character, Howard, has completely shut down after his young daughter passed away and he writes letters to love, time and death.


Again, I don't want to spoil this film for anyone, but the emotion certainly builds up throughout. I have to tell you that I did cry during one of the last scenes. There was a moment of revelation (which will make sense if you see the film) that I spotted about fifteen seconds before it was revealed. That set me off and then I cried until the end of the movie. Thank goodness for waterproof mascara!

It was also the perfect length, being on just over ninety minutes long. It was enough time to connect with the characters and take meaning from it but it didn't get dragged out to make up enough time to be a longer movie.

I gave this film:


I went in with high expectations and I left feeling satisfied and very teary. It was a journey full of emotion but it was worth watching every second of it. If you like a film that hits you in the heart and has a cast full of superb actors and actresses, then you need to see this.


No comments