Film Review: Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them


It's finally here! JK Rowling's creations have been brought to live again, with new witches and wizards and a whole host of new magical creatures.

This is another film I've been excited for all year, so we went along on opening night with the hope that it wouldn't disappoint. As a big fan of Harry Potter and the wizarding world he is based in, I wanted it to be just as amazing and mesmerising as the last  eight movies.


It was quite a different experience because although this film is based on a book, the book doesn't give you a full story like this movie does.

I must make a quick mention of the music in this film. It was just as magical and I was so happy to hear the famous Harry Potter theme feature, to tie it all in beautifully.


The story is a simple one, but that is not to say that it is boring or bland by any means. It is uncomplicated and interesting, with so many familiar aspects that you will have taken from the previous Harry Potter books or films. I also loved that is was set in the 1920s because it's such a stunning era, and it being set in New York City (my favourite city) was just a great bonus.

Now, let's talk about the actors and actresses. Obviously I loved seeing Eddie Redmayne in the main role. I'm a big fan of his previous work and I thought he did a brilliant job playing Newt Scamander. The rest of the cast were pretty unfamiliar to me, apart from Colin Farrell, Jon Voight (who doesn't feature massively) and Johnny Depp (who isn't on screen for long). However, this actually worked for me because sometimes you can get a bit starstruck when there's too many really well-known actors and actresses on screen at once. As a whole, the cast were perfect and I thoroughly enjoyed watching all of them.

The main spectacle was definitely the beautiful creatures hidden inside Mr Scamander's suitcase. I won't spoil the movie for you by describing them all, but there are a few that a just brilliant to watch and there were a few humorous scenes starring these creations.

I'd give this film:


I easily gave this five stars. I was hooked in since the first time I saw the trailer for this movie and I was sucked right back in my the magic. Just the mention of the words 'alohamora' and 'Hogwarts' made me smile. I could easily see this again right away. It's just such an easy film to sit and watch, with a simple storyline that's great for wizarding fans of all ages and has the added bonus of the talent that is Mr Eddie Redmayne.


I'd love to hear what you think of this movie. Comment below, or find me on Twitter or Instagram.

No comments