Five Ways To: Use Coconut Oil


I love coconut oil. I know some people are saying it's just a phase and that there isn't anything to really back up that it's better than some other oils, but I have loved it since I first used it. Coconut oil can be used for so many things. I once came across a web article about '101 things coconut oil can be used for'. Well, I thought it might be a little excessive to list that many things to use it for here, so I've decided to share the five ways that I use coconut oil every single week. In fact, I do most of these things with coconut oil every day.

So, here are my top five ways to put coconut oil to good use:


1. Makeup remover: I only started doing this about four-five months ago but it's my favourite way to use the oil. When you buy it in a jar it's solid (unless it's very warm because coconut oil melts so easily!) so I normally take out half a teaspoon (or a whole one if I'm wearing a full face of makeup) and then use my hands to gently rub it onto my face. It begins to melt quickly but it kind of dissolves the makeup - including mascara - and it can then be easily wiped away with damp cotton pads or a flannel. It leaves your face feeling really moisturised at the end too.

2. Moisturiser: I use this as an all-over body moisturiser at least five days a week. These five days work in sync with my psoriasis routine, which I will share very soon, because it works so well as a natural moisturiser. A small amount goes a long way. Use too much and you end up being a slimy, oily, dripping mess so use it sparingly and add more if you need to. It's great for heels, knees and elbows. I also sometimes coat my hands in it and the slip on a pair of moisturising gloves, and you can do the same with your feet and put on a pair of thick socks.

3. Hair mask: This was the first way I used coconut oil. Again, I mainly chose to use this because my scalp was dry due to psoriasis, but I'd read an article about how it was a great hair mask. I put it straight on to dry hair, massaging it into my scalp and down the length of my hair, focusing on the ends where they were drier, and let it sit for around ten minutes. I then washed my hair as usual, but you do need to spend a little longer with the shampooing to get the oil out so you don't end up with greasy hair. This is a treatment that I use only once a week unless my psoriasis is really playing up.

4. Oil pulling: For those of you who don't know what oil pulling is, it's 'oral detoxification', which sounds funny and slightly medical, but it involves using coconut oil like mouthwash. I was told using just plain coconut oil is very bitter. However, once you take a few seconds to get used to it, it isn't that bad at all. I take a teaspoon of oil and swish it around in my mouth for ten-fifteen minutes, and I do this first thing when I wake up and do this while making my breakfast or having a shower, whatever I'm doing first thing. It helps to whiten teeth and detox your mouth. Once you've done this you can brush your teeth as normal.

5. Cooking: Here's the obvious one. I replace a lot of oils used in my cooking with coconut oil. I find I never use as much as other oils when using this. The time I use it most is when making my healthy pancakes (or protein pancakes if I've just done a workout - this recipe is coming soon) and it's also good for a stir-fry. Also, back in January, I shared my recipe for easy honey flapjacks which are made with coconut oil and only three other ingredients. They are so quick to make and are a good alternative to sugary store-bought cereal or oat bars.

When it comes to shopping, I usually buy KTC coconut oil, which I have found in various supermarkets, but I mostly buy it from Tesco. However, recently my local Tesco hasn't had this particular brand in stock so I've switched over to Tesco's own organic virgin coconut oil. It costs a little bit more and there isn't quite as much in the jar, but being organic is a bonus.




Let me know if you like using coconut oil and what you think it works well for in particular.


1 comment