Film Review: Suicide Squad


So I was one of the lucky ones who got to go to the first showing at midnight last night! Very exciting. I've only done one other midnight showing this year, which was Batman v Superman, because these are the only two that have fallen during school holidays. You don't understand how gutted I was that I couldn't do Captain America: Civil War at midnight because it was a work day, and also I was deaf in one ear as it was blocked, but I'd have still gone!

Anyway, back to the world of DC movies. I read the reviews on Tuesday night that really put this film down. I obviously still wanted to see for myself, but it made me feel like I might be wasting my time. I'm a Marvel girl through and through so part of me is always going to say 'it will never be as good as a Marvel film' but I still want it to be good because I love superhero movies and this kind of thing, so we took a trip at midnight down to Cineworld. I've got to hand it to the staff at Cineworld, they went all out with their costumes!



First of all, I have to mention the soundtrack. It's awesome! The scene with Eminem's track Without Me was a personal favourite, but the soundtrack played a huge part.

Now, on to the cast. I cannot tell you how much I loved Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. She was definitely my favourite character, with the costume, lots of humorous moments and just her general presence.

I also loved Deadshot, played by the brilliant Will Smith, who had some of the best scenes - look out for the scene where he's on top of a car shooting - and he had some great lines, which I won't spoil for you.

The rest of the cast were great, I really couldn't fault any of them. I'm a big Cara Delevingne fan so it was just good to see her in a film and obviously I can't write about the characters without mentioning the Joker. He was possibly the best Joker I've ever seen, and I'm a huge Heath Ledger fan! I wished he was in it a little more although it wasn't a film about him, but when he was on screen I couldn't take my eyes off of him. His portrayal was just pure genius.



Obviously I'm not going to give away any of the plot and spoil the outcome for everyone, but I will say that the storyline was quite basic and easy to follow if you're new to these kinds of films, but it did leave me wanting more at times.

The actions scenes were brilliant and they really did keep the story moving on. Harley Quinn's fighting scenes were definitely my favourite.

As well as action they really do give these characters depth by giving them a back story, about their family or what they were doing before they were locked up, which was good because you got ot connect with them as people a bit more than just being crazy, fighting villains.



I'd give this film:


I know that I'm a Marvel girl and I always will be, but I was so excited for this movie and it didn't disappoint. Speaking of Marvel, I would say that if you liked Guardians of the Galaxy then you will like this because it's pretty similar: a bunch of misfits and criminals who get out of prison and form a team to fight something that is other-worldly, with the addition of a cracking soundtrack. So yeah, it's pretty much the same film, but with more grit and guns.

Great cast. Great music. Great action. It's just what I wanted from this type of film. I can't wait to see where they take these characters next because they have to do more with them!

I know for sure that this won't be the only time I see this film.

No comments