Film Review: Pete's Dragon


I didn't even know they were remaking this movie until the first trailer was released, and since then I've been so excited to see it. So here is my review for Disney's latest live-action remake (unfortunately, without a real dragon!)


I really like Bryce Dallas Howard in Jurassic World so I was really excited to see her in this. Then there's Robert Redford, and the last film I saw him in was Captain America: The Winter Soldier, who is also great. They were both amazing in this movie, but the real star of the show was the fantastic Oakes Fegley, who played Pete. He was so good that you have to take a moment and think about how he's not actually acting with a dragon because his performance is just so believable and brilliant.

The story was practically perfect, with the emotional opening sequence (no spoilers), the fun scenes with Elliot the dragon and the parts with other people when Pete is reintroduced to the world outside of the woods he's been living in for six years.



I'd rate this movie:


I could have given this five stars but I felt that after the effective opening scene it slowed a little and took a while for it to pick back up, but the rest of it, for me, was spot on.

I actually found myself getting quite emotional during various points of this film and I even spotted two other people - one being a child - crying as we left at the end. It made me feel a little less silly for walking out of a family film with teary eyes when I saw this. Everyone who knows me will tell you it doesn't take much for me to cry!

I highly recommend this movie, it's just pure Disney magic.



What do you think of Disney's latest live-action remake?



No comments