Film Review: The Secret Life of Pets


A lot of people have been raving about this film and while I was excited to go and see it as soon as it came out, I couldn't seem to find the time and then when I did have time to go to the cinema there was always something else I wanted to see.

So my review of this movie is a little late as it came out weeks ago, but I thought I'd still post it anyway.



The trailer made me fall in love with the idea of this film instantly because it looked hilarious. I never had any pets growing up, but Clay's family have always had a dog (or two) and then Clay bought musk turtles and a bearded dragon when he was living at home. I thought this might be a difficult film to relate to as I didn't have the pet experience, but it was very easy to follow.

The characters of Gidget (above, voiced by Jenny Slate) and the rabbit, Snowball (voiced by Kevin Hart) were my favourites.

The storyline is very basic and straightforward, as it's aimed at children, but there are a few parts that adults will be able to enjoy and relate to. Without spoiling the film, there is one scene where they talk about abandoned pets and they mentioned sea monkeys. This had me laughing for ages because I remember having sea monkeys and we got rid of them for the exact same reasons mentioned in the film.


I would give this film:


I liked the idea of this film and there were some very funny parts, but I didn't love it. It's definitely a great film for kids, especially if they have pets, but I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would. 

I know this isn't a very long review but there isn't too much to say about it. It's good but not amazing, it's funny in parts but not hilarious, but I still enjoyed watching it. If you want an easy film to sit through at the cinema that's just a bit of fun, I would recommend this. 


P.S. If anyone has watched Impractical Jokers, doesn't Duke (above) remind you of Q? With the New York accent in the film and the hair, I couldn't help but laugh because it made me think of him!

No comments