Film Review: Me Before You


My 20th film of the year at Cineworld Braintree, and we're not even halfway through the year yet! Me Before You is a movie based on the incredible novel by Jojo Moyes, and I was so happy to see that she also did the screenplay for the film. So many times I've seen book-to-movie transformations that just don't quite stick to the story in the way I wanted it to, so to have the author on the journey gave me faith in this film.

Obviously I've read the book but if you haven't, don't worry, I'm not giving away any of the plot or the events that take place. I will only discuss what you could pick up from the trailer.

So, we know that Will - played by Sam Claflin - is in a wheelchair after a serious accident that has left him unable to move the majority of his body, so Louisa - played by Emilia Clarke - is hired to be his companion/carer.


The acting in this film was outstanding, some of the best I've seen this year. The scenes between these two main characters start off as awkward and hilarious, but grow into something truly amazing. The two scenes that moved me most were both when they were on a holiday, so look out for the scene when there's a tropical storm and the nighttime scene on the beach, especially the latter. It's breathtaking and beautifully done. Sam and Emilia are the perfect pairing. 

The music was also brilliant, with songs from Imagine Dragons, Ed Sheeran and X Ambassadors. Music can really add to certain scenes, and they really did pair these tracks up with the perfect moments.

I was praying that this film would be what I wanted it to be and it certainly did not disappoint. Not. One. Bit.



I would give this movie:



In three words: I loved it. I laughed, I smiled, I cried, I felt the connection between the two of them. It was a stunning adaptation of an incredibly well-written novel, and I couldn't have asked for anything more from this movie. The cast, the quotes they kept from the book, the music and the emotion were all spot on.



Now, get yourself down to the cinema for a rollercoaster of emotion!


2 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This movie reminds me of "Dying Young" with Julia Roberts dating back to 1993 or so.

    ReplyDelete