Film Review: Independence Day: Resurgence


I didn't know anything about this film coming out, so it was a huge surprise for me when I saw the trailer a few months back. I remember watching the original Independence Day film when I was younger. I was only four years old when it came out so obviously I didn't see it when it first came out, but I remember my Dad showing me this film as a kid.

I was excited so see so many members of the original cast back in this film too, twenty years on. So on opening night yesterday I went down to my usual spot in my local Cineworld - with my Unlimited Card - to see if it was as amazing as I hoped it would be.


I found the film quite similar to the first one in many ways, most of all because when they are having their fourth of July celebration to mark twenty years since the last invasion when the new aliens turn up. I don't want to give too much away but if you watch it you will see that there are a lot of similarities between the two movies.

I can't fault the actual cast and their roles and acting within the film. I like Liam Hemsworth as an actor and Jeff Goldblum is a legend, so I enjoyed seeing him again.

However, the cast was not enough to save it for me. I really wanted to come out saying how amazing this film was, but it was just a bit too much in terms of the aliens shown, the parts they tried to make humourous just weren't that funny to me and it was just a tad too predictable.

I would rate this film as:


I don't know if it's because I had such high hopes for this film, with there being so many of the original actors and with how much I loved the first film, but this just didn't do it for me. I went in thinking this was going to be a top three film for 2016 so far, expecting to give it four stars at least, but the more I thought about it when I got home and spoke about it, I realised I couldn't justify the four stars either. I've give other films three stars that I would prefer to watch again over this one, so I couldn't give it any more. I feel awful because I really want to say I love it, but I can't. I'm gutted that I can't give it more but I'd be lying to you.



If you see Independence Day: Resurgence then I'd love to know what you think in the comments, on Twitter or Instagram.


No comments